Chapter Nine

One year. Such a short time when considered in certain circumstances. However beside Sergio, it's the longest time I've ever experienced and enjoyed next to someone I care so deeply for. I think back to the time that feels like yesterday when Sergio asked me for help in Psychology. The night we kissed in the pool at my apartment, when I first heard him say I love you, and knowing without a doubt that I loved him too; these memories and many more swim lazily around in my head and bring a smile to my lips. Today is our one year anniversary. I couldn't be happier knowing that behind that apartment door will be my lovely man preparing the last minute touches to his planned anniversary dinner.

I lean over and pull the medium sized blue box, and a bouquet of wild flowers from the passenger seat. Inside is a bracelet in the shape of a sound wave. I wear one of them on my wrist already depicted the physical design of Sergio's voice saying my name in a durable black colored material. His own is white to stand out against his tan skin in the physical depiction of me saying his name. However I didn't stop at the bracelet. In the box is a black picture frame. The picture inside displays multiple photos of us and all of our friends formed into the shape of a one. It's sentimental, which is right up Sergio's alley.

I walk the familiar path to his porch at ease. The box sits comfortably beneath my arm. A year ago this trek would've been nerve wracking. However now it's a happily mundane occurrence. I come to his apartment many times during the week and many of those times I end up staying over well into the morning time. This place is my second home. I know if Sergio ever asked me to move in I'd say yes without a doubt in my mind. Now if only I could be so sure about the ring hidden beneath my shirts in my dresser back home.

I rap my knuckles against the sleek, vinyl, front door as I reach it. The scent of homemade Chinese food filters through to me.

"Coming!" Sergio calls from within the house. I smile from simply hearing his voice sound so exasperated. He's probably drove himself crazy accounting for unnecessary preparations he saw fit for tonight.

"Hi love!" He exclaims excitedly from the now open doorway.

Sergio stands there looking exquisite in his usual attire; a white V-neck, dark denim jeans, and dress shoes. He looks magnificent, even more so tonight. I pull him into my arms and hold him tightly around his neck.

"Hi baby."

He pulls me inside the familiar apartment. The smell of Chinese food is intensified now that I'm inside. I can nearly taste it now.

We reach the small dining table complimented by a dark colored table cloth in no time. Atop it are white porcelain plates filled to the edge with delicious noodles and veggies. On a separate platter is General Tso's chicken, purposely placed on my side of the table. In the background a mix of our favorite songs plays quietly. Sergio tailored everything about this night to suit both of our individual tastes, even down to the music.

"This is amazing," I praise out loud, mystified by the scene around me. Sergio pulls out the chair on my side of the table. Pride shines in his eyes when he glances over his day's work.

"You have no idea how glad I am that you like it. I worried over the little things like I always do. You know the color, the music, even the food. I wondered if you'd actually like all of it. I don't know-," I draw Sergio to me by his waist, thus ending his nervous babbling. He lets out a deep breath and smiles as he raises his face upwards to mine.

"You did a fantastic job baby. Thank you."

A blush creeps onto his cheeks. I press my lips against his, successfully leaving him breathless when he finally pulls away. Fifteen minutes after dinner was supposed to begin we take our seats across from each other. I reach across the tabletop to capture Sergio's hand within mine.