ii. Hello, Goodbye

two hello, goodbye

🦋

     THE REST OF THE CHRISTMAS holidays ran by smoothly. Sirius' plan had been in the back of Laurel's thoughts the whole time. She didn't know why she kept on thinking about it... If she really didn't want this to happen, she could say no. Sirius would accept that. And yet, here she was. 

     So Laurel jumped head-first into her studies. Sixth year meant thinking about the future, and thinking about the future apparently involved a lot of homework. She didn't struggle with school, but she sometimes struggle with the sheer amount of work she was given sometimes... But then, her dad did push her into taking as many subjects as she was allowed, leaving her with close to no free periods to do the work in...

     The Crouches, if Laurel was being perfectly honest, weren't the most loving towards each other. They weren't the kind of family that expressed emotions, either, which left Laurel at a difficult crossroads. Parents that expected her to be the best, and yet if she struggled to get there, they wouldn't have it. But then, that's what Barty and Bernice Crouch were like.

     If their children fell from their climb to success, they looked the other way. Laurel always thought that her father loved her mother and his job too much to love his children. Or, at least, he loved them when they were good. Laurel received mountains of attention in the aftermath of exams, when she'd come back with high grades. When the old Minister visited for dinner, last summer, and told Laurel to smile... Not so much.

     "He has a point," her dad had told her, after he took her into the kitchen to stop her from making things worse. Nothing is as important as the Ministry, when it comes to her dad. Not when he's so close to becoming Minister.

     "Dad," she had scowled. "He said I wouldn't have to work a day in my life, as long as I smile, because I'd look far prettier. Are you kidding me? Why is he saying that?"