vii. Unfinished Symphony

seven unfinished symphony

🦋

     THING IS, LAUREL HAD NEVER been close with Lily Evans.

     Since September, however, they were partners in Charms, meaning they spent a decent amount of time together. But Laurel knew they weren't close, or anything. They talked about the homework, the work they were doing, and that was it. Maybe they'd say what they were doing at the weekend. But that was the furthest their conversations would go.

     James, however, thought that this partnership was equivalent to a close friendship. Laurel, since the start of the term, could not count the amount of times James had decided to talk to Laurel at the start of Charms lessons, so he could also see Lily.

     Laurel got to class a couple minutes after Lily that day, and as she sat down, Flitwick started the lesson. Luckily, since she was almost late, James lost the opportunity to go up to her — but, she knew that he'd try and make up for this at the end of the lesson. It was what he did.

     "Hi," said Laurel, quietly. "How'd you find the homework?"

     "It wasn't too bad," said Lily, smiling softly. "Some questions were a little weird, though."

     Laurel nodded. She was glad Lily mentioned that, because Laurel wouldn't have wanted to admit defeat first. She was known for being smart — she can't admit she found work difficult.

      "Yeah, I didn't like the second one," said Laurel, and she remembered the number exactly. Lily has to look down, to see what question she was talking about. But Laurel was raised thinking if she wasn't the smartest, she wasn't anything... It was fun, being a Crouch. You're born and instantly you're warned, try not to crack under the pressure. 

     "Oh, I didn't mind that one," said Lily. The question was linked to the first, but this one asked how a muggle might be affected by the spell. "But, uh, guess I've got an advantage..."