Chapter 30

Adaryn

The shock of being pulled away from the crowd made me stumble and almost fall. Before I could, though, the hand that hand grabbed me spun me around then held me steady.

I stood confused for a moment, then looked up quickly into the face of my captor. When I saw who it was, I felt a sudden lightheadedness.

"Adonis?!" I snapped. He had been the last person I expected to see.

It was definitely him. His face had become home to thick, dark stubble, and his hair was longer and pulled into a small ponytail. Silver armor glinted in the low lighting.

Prompted by my subconscious, my hand began to creep towards the dagger on my belt.

I was facing the man who had killed my wife and kidnapped my daughter.

He caught my hand in his crushing grip.

"Do not even let the thought cross your mind, Adaryn. I am on your side," he hissed, dropping my hand when he thought I would not try anything more.

I stuck out my jaw, anger boiling up in me. "My side? You jest! You killed Venia! Why should I trust you?" I spat on his boot and tried to turn away, only to be halted and turned back by his strong grip.

"I know what I have done. Please, brother. Let me redeem myself!" He pleaded.

I pushed against his chest, disappointed that I could not make him budge from his spot.

"Do not call me brother! I will sli-"

"I know where Danya is."

Adonis's interjection stopped me mid sentence. I stood dumbly for a long moment before I was capable of speech.

"You what?"

"I know where your daughter is," Adonis repeated slowly.

I swallowed, unsure whether to be angry or overjoyed.

"I can take you to her, then you can kill Nekros."

I looked at him, confused.

"Kill Nekros?"

Adonis nodded. "Yes...that is why you have come, or has your mission changed since I saw you last?"

"Why would I kill Nekros? He is my king." Why would Adonis make such terrible accusations?

Adonis stared at me in confusion, then had a revelation. He cursed.

"The guards...fine. Stay here. I will return." He turned and fled down the hallway, leaving me alone in the mouth. In the main hall, I could hear Nekros preach about a 'better world'.

I turned and watched the people in the crowd as they stood captivated by their leader. I saw a light tuft of hair sticking our from the rest, and my heart leapt in my chest.

"John!" I called. My friend stood on his toes and peaked over the heads of the other guests in confusion. He scanned the hall until his eyes landed on me. His face broke into a relieved expression, then he pushed through the crowd to me.

"There you are! I thought you were trampled or something! What are you doing here?" He asked me.

I smiled, grateful that I had my friend back at my side.

"Adonis is here. He said he knew where to find Danya!" I reported. John frowned.

"And you're...okay with that?" He asked hesitantly. I shrugged.

"I will almost surely kill him before the day is out. Oh! Also, he said something strange about us killing King Nekros," I informed him. John's face screwed in confusion.