Chapter 5

Adaryn

I sat silently in my cell pondering my vision, and what it meant. If I did nothing to stop it, my wife and child would die. The thing was, I could not do anything to prevent it.

What is the point of having a vision of something so terrible if nothing could be done? To give the receiver never-ending grief and anguish? That was how it was beginning to look.

In my head, I tried to estimate how much time my family had left before... the incident.

In my vision, my child was likely around a month and a half old. Since she was born around twenty days ago, that gave them a month. This estimation gave me no comfort. My child had barely even lived.

From my trouser pockets, I pulled a filthy, wrinkled piece of parchment. Carefully, I unfolded it.

This seemingly insignificant article was my most valuable possession. It had been sent to my by Venia nearly a fortnight ago. That alone made it precious.

Taking up half of the dirty parchment was a note written in dark ink. The contents of the letter told of the birth of my daughter, Danya, as well as the events since. She wrote:

Adaryn,

I wish with all my heart that we could be together again. I know that what you did was for a worthy cause, but was it worth leaving your family for?

Danya was born two days ago, February 20, 2045. She is a beautiful child! Her hair is dark, like yours, and her eyes are a light lavender color, like those flowers you picked for me when we met. She will be great one day, I know. In her, I see you, her dear father. If only you were here to see and raise her at my side. That would be the only thing that could make me happier.

Adaryn, I in no way blame you for what has happened, so do not feel down on yourself. One day, we will be together, even if it be in another life. I will tell Danya when she grows older how great of a man her father was. I will tell her every day. I love and miss you dearly. Be safe.

Venia

My heart ached after reading the letter for what seemed like the hundredth time since it was given to me.

The other half of the parchment was covered in a detailed drawing Venia had done of Danya. Venia, being a very talented artist, capture the beauty and innocence of the child perfectly.

Danya had large eyes, fair skin, and short, curly hair. She was a beautiful child, just like Venia had said. In fact, she may have been the most beautiful of any child I had seen in my lifetime.

I folded the paper and gently placed it back into my pocket, not feeling much better. Slowly, I stood and walked over to the left wall of my cell, where I once again sat down.

"John?" I called, needing someone to talk to.

"Hello, Adaryn." He responded from the other side of the wall.

"Are you doing okay?"

"No, I dearly miss my wife and son."

"You have a son?"

"Yes, his name is Bradley."

I thought for a moment of how unfair it was that John had to be away from his family. It seemed we were in similar situations.

"I have a wife and daughter, Danya." I said sadly. "I only wish I could see them."

"That is a beautiful name." John commented. "I wish I could be with my family too. If only we were not stuck in here forever. You know, they never even told me what I did wrong."

I shifted positions to hear better.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, really. The guards just threw me in here without a word."

"Sounds like something they would do." My thoughts strayed to Adonis, Jarve, and Clev from my vision, but I quickly pushed the image from my mind.

Suddenly, it was if something in my mind clicked, releasing a wave of ideas and information. I immediately knew what to do.

"John?"

"Yes?"

"What are your thoughts on jailbreak?"