Chapter 8

Adaryn

My heart dropped a I heard soldiers begin to swarm the area of the dynamite explosion, which was just down the hall. We would surely be spotted if we were to stay. Outside, I could see the sky beginning to grow pink from the sunrise.

Everything was going wrong.

I turned back to John, who stood behind me. His smile had disappeared as well. In the growing light, I could see his firm jaw, dirty blonde hair, and the stubble on his chin.

"Uh oh." John said quietly, backing up a step. I tensed my jaw, trying to think in the limited time we had.

"Ok get ready to go." I said at last.

"What? Where are we going?" John asked. I looked up. I had not seen the broken piece of ceiling that was above us until the light had entered the room thought the explosion- damaged wall down the hall.

"Right over them." I answered. I jumped up, catching the lip of the opening with one hand. My muscles ached, but I pulled myself up and into the narrow space. A stone air vent. These enclosed areas led to the outside and were meant to bring fresh air through tiny slots in the top of each cell. This one must have been broken and not fixed.

I pulled John up after me. The vent was tiny and rectangular shaped. The air inside was musty and uncomfortable. Once John was safely in the vent after me, I began to lead the way, crawling on my hands and knees down the narrow passage. After some time, we reached a mental grate, on which the other side I could see into the courtyard. All the guards who patrolled the area were crowded by the entrance to the cell block.

With ease, I popped out the grate quietly and set it aside. I peered my head out, checking to see if any guards were looking our way. There weren't any.

"John, got any more dynamite?" I whispered quickly.

"Uh, yeah." John said hesitantly, pulling another of the sticks from his satchel and handing it to me.

"Thank you. Why do you have dynamite anyways? I thought the guards would have taken something like this away." I asked.

"They tried. I told them it was a type of medication that I had to cut into pieces to eat. I was given some sticks of dynamite before leaving Earth to excavate samples of rocks."John explained.

"The guards really fell for that?" I asked.

"They are stupider than they look!" John laughed. I struck sparks and lit the string, which John told me was a fuse. I then proceeded to toss the explosive out the vent towards where the guards were. One of the guards bent down and picked the dynamite up to examine it.

"What the..." He started. The dynamite exploded in his hand, takin out the seven guards who were gathered there. I laughed quietly at the guard'a stupidity.

Not wishing to waste any time, John and I leapt from the vent, landing lightly in the courtyard. We each drew a long sword from a sheathe from two of the fallen guards. I took the sheathe as well, strapping it over my back diagonally. John stared at the sword he had gotten in awe.

"What is it?" I questioned.

"Um, I've never sword fought before." He replied slowly.

"Then you'll have to learn pretty quickly. Here come trouble!" I cried, pointing to the doorway surrounded by dead guards. Three guards armed with massive long swords were stepping through the entrance. John and I spun on our heels and began to sprint towards the entrance. Halfway across the courtyard, I stopped and spun back around. John followed my lead.

"You take one, I'll take two. If we leave with them on our tails, we won't get away." I informed him quickly. The guards were then upon us.

I blocked the blow of one guards sword with my own and spun the blade. The guard staggered just long enough for me to sink my sword into the exposed flesh under his helmet. The next guard was larger and stronger looking.

He swung his sword at me with incredible speed. I tried to dodge, but his sword sliced my upper arm, causing me to cry out in pain. I decided to use his large size and heavy armor to my own advantage.

Staying on my toes, I dodged three blows easily. Looking back, I saw I was nearing a wooden cart full of hay, which sat in a corner.

Backed against the hay cart, I dodged a swift blow, leaving the guards sword embedded into the wood. Seeing a perfect opening, I kicked the guard square in the left kneecap. The knee buckled, maybe even snapped, and the guard collapsed, groaning in pain and frustration. I killed him quickly by cutting off his head, which was level to my chest.

The two guards dead, I panted, exhausted from the fight. My chest heaved with each breathe, which sounded extra raspy. I looked back to the opposite side of the courtyard. John was standing on top of the stable that ran against one wall , his sword extended. He was barely missing blows from the guards sword, who stood on the ground still.

I bent down, pulling a small dagger from it's sheathe around the large guard's waist and threw it as hard as I could. It sunk into the back of the guard who was confronting John. The guard, with a stunned look on his face fell. I jogged to John, who shakily climbed down from the stable roof.

"Thanks." He said gratefully.

"Do not mention it. We must go quickly." I answered, walking into the stable. Inside, thirteen various mounts stood in their designated stalls. Five were horses, six were the lizard- like mounts John had spoken of, and two were what looked like horse-sized gryphons.

"Pick one." I said, checking behind me. No more guards had appeared in the courtyard. I selected a black gryphon, which looked to be more lion than eagle. It's strong legs and wings would be crucial to get us as far away as possible. John, following my lead, selected the other gryphon, which was bronze colored.

We both saddled and harnessed our new mounts and led them into the courtyard. After scavenging various knives, tools, and a crossbow from the guard'a bodies, I jumped on my gryphon. John, much slower, did the same.

I kicked the gryphon's side. It let out an shrieking call and leapt nimbly into the air. John followed close behind. We soared through the air, leaving the prison far behind. As the wind whipped through my short hair, I imagined freedom.