Chapter13

John Hansson

Around midday, Adaryn was feeling slightly better, to the point he could stand and walk with a little help.

We sat at a long table filled with heaping platters of food I had never even seen before, along with some that were similar to that I had eaten back home.

There were thick breads full of nuts and fruit, slabs of juicy meat, vegetables that resembled squashes, and small pastries.

On my plate, I had a little helping of everything, just so I could try it all before getting full. The meat, which looked somewhat like a liver, was full of flavor and extremely gamey. The flavor of the bread was far more pleasant- thick, chewy, and warm.

After eating about half of the bread, I looked up.

Adaryn was shoving food into his mouth messily, as if he had not eaten as good food in his life. He ate quickly, not slowing down except to sip water or glance briefly up at me.

Warden, Adaryn's father, sat at the end if the table beside Evangeline. He ate slowly, watching his son with a look of both joy and pride. Evangeline ate little, and seemed to be monitoring Adaryn's condition.

Deep inside, I wished I could punch Warden in the face. Repeatedly. He had knowingly imprisoned and starved his own son for over a year. Now, he was acting like he could take it all back. And how? Sending his son off to kill a stupid prince. What kind of father was he?

I set down fork. For the last twenty minutes, everything had been silent, and it was beginning to be uncomfortable.

"Um," I started. Everyone look up, even Adaryn. "What's the plan?" Warden nodded, looking like he had been meaning to get to that subject.

"You two will be escorted by three guards, whom I have put my trust in to carry out the task. They are high ranking, and I know I can count on them." He began.

"Oh. I thought we were going alone. What guards? Perhaps I have heard of them." Adaryn asked, finally swallowing.

"Captain Adonis and two others- Clev and Jarve." Warden answered.

What happened next confused me. Adaryn stood, nearly knocking over his chair, and stormed from the room without a word. His plate was left half full at his seat.

"Adaryn?" I called after him.

"Adaryn! Son!" Warden shouted and stood, walking after him. Adaryn entered the bedroom, slamming the door in his father'a face.

Warden lingered at the door, looking confused and hurt, for several seconds. Evangeline and I stared at him.

Warden knocked lightly on the door.

"Adaryn? Are you okay?" He asked gently, only loud enough to be heard through the door.

"Leave me alone." I heard Adaryn answer quietly on the other side of the door. He sounded upset. Warden nodded and took his seat again. There was a strange tension in the air.

"What do you think is wrong?" Evangeline asked, looking worried. Warden and I shrugged, almost in unison.

"He did not even hint that something was wrong. Did he tell you anything?" Warden answered. I thought back as far as I could, but nothing came to mind that would have caused this reaction.

"Perhaps he just had a stomach ache from eating that fast." I guessed. Evangeline and Warden nodded, but didn't look convinced.

I was not convinced of my own guess, either. By now, I knew Adaryn well enough to tell when something was wrong. I just didn't know what.

• • •

AN: Sorry it's short, just wanted to put some of John's perspective into the story in a short chapter.