Chapter 12

Adaryn

I was completely confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked, "How can one buy freedom?"

Warden inhaled deeply, folding his hands.

"I have an offer for you and..." He began, but could not remember my companion's name. I understood, for it really was an unusual name.

"John." I told him. He nodded in thanks.

"Yes, John. It is a job that, if you go through with, I will pardon you of all charges. If not, the sentence remains the same for both of you." Warden told me.

Immediately, I thought of the consequences that would come if I was not freed. I would be executed. Venia would be brutally murdered. Danya would be taken away. I could not let that happen. If there was even a slight chance of saving them, I was going to take it.

"I'll do anything to protect my wife and daughter." I told him, feeling brave.

Warden looked stunned for a moment, as if I had slapped him hard across the face.

"Daughter?" He asked, shocked. I nodded.

"I have a daughter named Danya." I informed him. He still looked a little shocked, but did not say anything further on the subject.

After a moment or two of silence, I came to the conclusion that he was not going to speak unless I did first. The fact that I had a daughter must have quite surprised him.

"What is your offer?" I asked. Warden stood.

"Allow me to get... John. I wish to speak to you both at once." I watched him disappear out the door. A minute later, he came back. John walked behind him, looking slightly intimidated by my father.

Warden motioned to the chair by my bedside.

"Sit." He demanded, sounding almost kind.

John sat without question.

As soon as John was settled, Warden began to pace the floor in front of the fireplace.

"As you, Adaryn, likely know, Lord Zeddikus is growing old, and soon he will die. We have understood that for some time now." My father began.

I nodded. For the past three years, Zeddikus had been preparing his heir, Nekros, to receive the throne and rule over Malor. To my knowledge, the wise king was reaching his 107th year.

I saw that John was completely lost, so I swiftly informed him of the king's condition.

"When the king dies, Nekros will become king. That would not be so bothersome, but Nekros is an incredibly corrupt man. He intends to rule selfishly and ruthlessly. If he takes control, the world as we know it now will crumble and fail, then rise up as a terrible an hostile kingdom. I cannot allow that to happen." He continued.

I exchanged a worried glance with John. We could both see where this was heading. What my father was asking of us would be very dangerous.

"You want us to kill Nekros." John stated, his voice slightly shaky. Warden stopped pacing and closed his eyes, as if he were thinking. Finally, he turned to face us.

"It must happen. If it does not, the consequences will be dire. However, if it is done before he takes control, much less attention will be directed towards it. That is why it is to happen as soon as possible. I have predicted that Nekros will take control in around three months." Warden explained desperately. I sighed.

"Father, I need to speak to John alone about this." I said firmly. Warden nodded in understanding and departed from the room.

Once he was gone, I looked at John from where I lay on the bed.

"It is the only way either of us will see our families again- the only way you will return home." I informed him softly.

John looked exhausted as he stared across the room at the fireplace. There was a sad and empty look in his eyes. He swallowed hard, then looked at me.

"I know." Was all he said.

"So... we must take his offer?" I clarified, coughing weakly.

John nodded slowly, leaning back in the chair.

"Yeah. We do." He seemed very conflicted. After all, this was all very new to him.

Several minutes later, which John and I spent in silence, Warden came back into the room.

"Have you reached a conclusion?" He asked hopefully. I glanced nervously at John, then back at my father.

"We are willing to accept your offer." I stated. A small smile spread across my father's face.

"Good."

"We will need supplies, though." John imputed. I nodded in agreement. We owned nothing besides the clothes, lock pick, one remaining stick of dynamite, and the leftover food from our last day in prison.

"It will be provided. Adaryn, when do you believe you will be fit to travel?" Warden asked, turning to look at me.

I struggled into a sitting position, ignoring the pain and nausea in my core. Dizziness overwhelmed me briefly, but it vanished almost as quickly as it had come. Both men in the room watched me anxiously.

"Tomorrow at the earliest, I think." I guessed.

* * *

Early the next morning, I sat upright in bed, nibbling on a small morsel of bread. The bread was not unlike what I had eaten in the prison, but was fresh, so it tasted much better.

So far, I had been able to keep down solid food without much more trouble, which was a huge relief.

As I finished the small meal, John entered the room and took a seat by the bed. He looked much different.

His thick blonde hair was combed, and his face cleanly shaven. The dark circles that indicated a lack of sleep under his eyes had disappeared. He was dressed in a simple white, baggy top and black trousers. A faded brown jacket was worn over his clothes.

"Hey." He said quietly. I swallowed the last bite of bread, examining him.

"You look... decent." I commented. He chuckled softly.

"You don't look too bad yourself."

I laughed. Earlier, I had seen my reflection the silver plate Evangeline had brought my food in. I was a complete mess.

"Yeah, right." John smiled.

"I mean, compared to how you were. At least now there is a little color in your cheeks."

I shrugged.

"I guess I am recovering..." I said, growing quieter. I began to stare into the fire.

John repositioned himself on the chair, looking concerned.

"You sound like that's a bad thing." He told me. I looked at him.

"My recovery means we have to kill a man. How can that be a good thing?"