Chapter 18

John Hansson's Journal

April 10, 2045

Much has happened since I last wrote. After meeting with Warden and receiving the task to kill prince Nekros,

Adaryn and I set out with Adonis, Clev, and Jarve, three soldiers, to accompany us.

Since then, Jarve has been killed. We were attacked by cannibals, and he was bitten on the arm. The next morning, he died of infection. Clev, or Clevius as I have learned his name to be, is devastated.

Shortly after departing camp this morning, Adaryn collapsed, so now we are at a snug little inn in a town called Darmsmoor. Adaryn told me that his wife and daughter live here, so it's likely we will visit them during our stay once Adaryn gets healthier.

Adaryn also told me a man, Tobias Stryker, is residing here in town. Apparently he is the only person besides the two of us that have broken out of the Blackland prison, so we are going to speak to him as well.

Last night, Clev got drunk, saying he was coping with Jarve dying. Adonis got furious. The two of them had an argument, which Clev came out of with a broken nose and busted lip. About an hour later, Clev and Adonis talked some things over privately them set out. They didn't say where they were going, but I believe it had something to do with a letter Adonis received. I was left to look after Adaryn.

* * *

I closed my journal with a sigh. I was sitting at one of the chairs near the table in the corner of the inn room. Adaryn was still asleep in the bed.

About a half an hour earlier, the innkeeper had brought two plates of food to our room. Apparently he had seen Adonis and Clev leave the previous night. Each plate held a light, flaky bread, a white cheese wedge, and a small bowl of soup. I had eaten about half of my portion of food, sampling each item. Unlike the food we had been eating while traveling, each was warm and delicious.

After setting my journal on the table, I heard Adaryn groan. Looking over, I saw my friend open his eyes slightly. Immediately, I stood and walked towards the bed.

"Adaryn! Are you okay?" I asked. Adaryn blinked several times and scanned the room, looking confused.

"Where am I?" He whispered tiredly.

"An inn. Adonis said we are in a town called Darmsmoor." I replied. Adaryn nodded slowly.

"What happened to me?" He asked. I turned, strode across the room towards the water on the table, and brought him back a cup.

"You passed out. I think whatever sickness you got back at the prison caught up with you." Adaryn shook his head.

"No, this is different. I feel...hollow. Shaky. Unstable." He told me.

"Like you have the flu?" I asked. Adaryn shrugged.

"I do not know, kind of, I guess." He answered. I nodded. Then held the cup of water to his lips. Adaryn drank slowly, coughing every so often. After I pulled away the cup, Adaryn coughed again.

"Where is Adonis and Clev?" He asked. I shrugged.

"They left late last night. Adonis said they had some job to do" Adaryn furrowed his brow.

"And they haven't returned?" He asked. I shook my head.

Adaryn closed his eyes, coughing again. For several minutes, he lay silently, thinking. The entire time, I stood, watching. Finally, he opened his eyes again, looking worried an almost scared.

"What is the date today?" He asked.

"April 10th."

"And you said they left late last night?" He clarified. I nodded slowly, detecting a growing urgency in his voice.