Red Numbers 2

Chapter 2: Conflicts

"So you won't tell me!?"

"No."

"You kicked me!"

"You scared me."

Jane and Lisbon stood facing each other. They were soaked to the bone and shivering but wouldn't move. Even in the dark they practically see the emotions on each other's face by their voices. Lisbon shuffled from side to side, she needed to get Jane out of here so she can see if her secret is still alive. Jane got hold of her wrist feeling her heart beat. He spoke calmly like he does when he's about to hypnotize someone. She wasn't going to let THAT happen!

"You thought I was Red John."

"Jane sto-"

"He wants to take something away from you. -her heart beat is normal- or someone?-it's picking up- Ah so it is someone... And it's a girl.-now her heart is racing-

"Jane please!"

"He already has her Lisbon."

"You don't know that!"

He doesn't. He can't! Another bolt of lightning and Lisbon isn't looking at Jane, she's looking at the shed.

" You have to save her. You have to get her back before its too late."

She sucks in a breath, what if he's right? What if Red John already had her? Jane leans and whispers in her ear:

"Save her Teresa."

And she bolts. She races towards the shed with Jane following. Once at the entrance Lisbon kicks open the door and doesn't bother looking around the room but instead goes to the back wall. Finding the ladder she climbs up and finally gets onto the roof. A teenage girl was sitting on the edge of the roof. The lightning helped reveal her as a tall girl with curly black hair and green eyes. She was wearing jeans and a grey long sleeved shirt. She had red fingerless gloves and a long red scarf that was flapping madly in the storm.

"Catherine?!"

She looked up at Lisbon who quickly went to sit next to her. Jane got on the roof and sat next to Lisbon, he held her hand.

"You saved her."

Which is when Lisbon blacked out. Jane winced he didn't mean for THAT to happen but everyone breaks out of a trance differently. Apparently Lisbon faints. The girl is now staring curiously at Jane. Jane just smiles at her, secretly freaking out that this 'Catherine' looks way to much like Teresa.

"I don't know about you but I hate the rain."

No response. She just continues staring at him which makes Jane uncomfortable.

"Who are you anyway?"

She looks away, at least she stopped staring at him.

--------

Lisbon regained consciousness in the front seat of Jane's car. The heater was on but she still felt as though she were freezing, chills went up her spine and she had a pounding headache.

"Go back to sleep. You're sick."

"No I...I...have to stay awake..."

She wanted to sit up but she was too tired and decided not to. Instead she looked through the window, watching the rain pound against everything and the wind as it bent the trees backwards. She was dozing off when something caught her eye in the mirror: a red scarf. A bright red scarf. Catherine is here? Lisbon is suddenly alert, she sits up but a little too fast and gets dizzy. She can feel his hand on her shoulder steadying her.

"Catherine followed me when I carried you to the car. She got into the back without question."

"Mmmm."

"Lisbon?"

"Yes?"

"Who is she?"

"Catherine."

"That's not what I meant."

"Hmm well she's a teenager. I'm also certain that she's a girl.."

"You won't tell me anything will you."

"Deniability, Jane. Deniability."

They continued the drive in silence, listening to the roar of the wind as the rain beat against the car. Lisbon stared at the mirror, catching glimpses of her Catherine in the back seat. Catherine was staring intently out the window, her scarf cascading from her neck to her shoulders and down onto the seats. Her hands were firmly clasped together on her lap. When her eyes flickered at Lisbon for the slightest moment, she knew they had the same question.

" Is this a trap?"

"Excuse me?"

Jane pulls in and parks in an empty parking lot. He undoes his seatbelt and turns to look at Lisbon, trying to get a read on her but failing. Lisbon was a mess, her still partly wet hair was frizzy and had a oak leaf still in it, there was mud on her jeans and some still clinging to her shirt; but her green eyes were clear and intense, a warning that if he didn't spill he'd get more than a kick in the shin! He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, when it came to Lisbon the only way to get out of these situations was to play the fool.

"Why Teresa I don't know what your talking about."

"JANE!"

She punched his arm but being sick had its disadvantages and her punch became more of a slap.

"You chased me you hypnotized me and now you're taking me who knows wh-

"I was taking you to your house."

She paused for a moment.

"How do you know where my house is?"

This got Catherine's attention, she unbuckled her seatbelt and leaned towards the two of them. Her scarf flowing like water as she quickly leaned closer.

"That's none of your business."

"Jane."

"...I was worried. You had been distant for two weeks. So..."

"You followed me!"

He got another slap.

"Can't I worry about you!? Lisbon we're friends! I care about you!"

Lisbon pursed her lips, friends wasn't the term she'd use. She looked away, this was frustrating and being sick didn't help. There was a moment of silence that seemed to drag on. Jane was defeated. He couldn't believe she didn't view him as a friend. He looks back at Catherine who meets his gaze, she wanted him to do something, to say something to Lisbon. ~Well~ Catherine seemed to say ~What are you waiting for?~

"I'm sorry."

Lisbon looked at him. Catherine was practically encouraging him with the way she was watching him.

"I knew you were in trouble so I followed you."

"Jane.."

"Just forget it. I'll drive you home."

He pulled out of the parking lot and drove over the speed limit to her house. Sickness overtook her and Lisbon fell back asleep.