Red Numbers 4

Chapter 4: Safety

"She should be safe here."

Jane opens the door to his house in Malibu, Lisbon enters and Cat bolts into the house, sits in the far corner of his living room and fiercely writes down numbers.

"Thanks."

The next few hours were spent unpacking Catherine's few things into one of the guest rooms downstairs. It had been decided (after several 'heated debates' )that she would have a better chance living with Jane then with her mother. Lisbon constantly asked if this was okay but Jane always replied with his award winning smile and told her not to worry about it, as long as Cat stayed downstairs and out of Charlotte's room it was going to be fine.

"...you named my daughter 'Cat'?"

"Yes."

"Cat."

"Uh-huh"

"Why?"

"You didn't know? Your daughter is part cat."

She smirks and rolls her eyes.

"I'm serious Lisbon, she is a C-A-T."

"And what makes her a cat?"

"Well firstly she's nimble and she loves high places. Secondly she refuses to let me touch her but is always next to you. And lastly she can always get out of my grasp just when I think I've caught her!"

They finished making her bed and took a step back to view Cat's new room. Her twin sized bed was neatly nestled in the corner, the comforter was a faded beige with pink and red roses and tiny green leaves. Her pillows were beige as well. The whole room had an antique feeling: every color was faded but not entirely, some things were outlined in gold, like the red lamp on the small cherry wood table next to her bed. There was a very long moment of silence.

"Lisbon."

"Lisbon?"

"Lisbon!"

"What!?"

"You're crying."

Surprised, she puts her hand to her face to find tears. More tears came out, this was the second time she'd cried today. Jane steps closer to her, and before she can do anything he wraps his arms around her and holds her against him. Lisbon buries her face in his shirt and just cries. He just holds her tighter.

"Tell me what happened."

No response. Just tears. He has NEVER seen her cry and he wanted it to stop. This was HIS Lisbon, she was strong-willed and powerful and the most stubborn woman he has ever met but she was most definitely NOT sad. Something was very wrong.

"Please Teresa I want to know."

It takes her a while but eventually she begins to calm down. She's still wrapped up in his arms. She answers this time but she sounds very small.

"I know you deserve an explanation, but I don't know how to say it...how about you tell me what you've picked up from this. We could go from there?"

He nods and closes the door. Lisbon sits on the edge of the bed and Jane goes to sit next to her. Unfortunately he was still clinging to the fact that she knew something. And as much as he wants to help her he also wants to use Cat to get closer to Red John.

"You wanted to have a family, but something went wrong. The husband...he must've worked for Red John? Oh so he did. Red John got a hold of Cat...and you've been trying to keep her safe. I'm guessing Amanda has something to do with this?"