Red Numbers 5

Chapter 5

"Hey I know what you need. Let me make you coffee."

Lisbon had stopped crying a moment ago and was clearly exhausted. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment. Another deep breath later she opens her eyes and tries to fully calm down.

"Jane if you make me coffee then I'll make you tea."

A big grin goes across his face and he takes her hand leading her out of the room.

"Well in that case- he takes her to his kitchen- welcome to my kitchen!"

She laughs a little and starts making tea while he makes coffee.

"Hey Jane? Do you have peach?"

"Hmm I might have a few left but aren't you making me chamomile tea?"

"Well yes but...peach is Catherine's favorite."

Jane looks amused.

"So Cat loves tea to?"

"Whenever I lose track of her I make peach tea and she comes back."

"Try the top shelf at the right...no your other right...Ah! There it is!"

Lisbon takes the tea bags and smiles at Jane before making some peach tea. Sure enough, immediately when the air smelled of peach Cat comes into the kitchen. She takes the teacup from her mom but stays a good distance from the both of them. There's a moment of silence as they all take a sip of their drinks. Jane eventually breaks the silence.

"So Cat what equation are you on now?"

She presses her notepad closer to her chest. ~Not telling.~

"She's very selective when it comes to who sees her numbers. She really only showed the end results to me...she showed everything to Amanda though."

He takes a sip from his tea before setting it down.

"That got under your skin. You wanted all of her attention for yourself, not Amanda. So how did this work? What happened when you got Catherine back?"

Lisbon shrugs as if to show its not such a big deal.

"We took her to the rehab center where Amanda worked. Amanda was her therapist, she tried her best to fix Catherine. I came in whenever I could."

She takes another sip of coffee.

"I could only see her 6 times a month. We had to be careful...we didn't want Red John to hurt her again."

She lit up a bit.

"But when I did go I made the most of it. I'd take her to my house and she'd stay with me there for a few hours. One day she went through my old stuff and found my red scarf and gloves that I used to wear in high school. She loved them so I gave them to her."

Lisbon chuckles and Cat allowed herself a small, brief smile.

"She never takes them off."

"Can you tell me more about Amanda's role? It might help with the case."

Lisbon's lips formed a thin line.

"Catherine was diagnosed with PTSD. PTSD victims were in Amanda's department so she took the case. That's really all there is to it."

Cat set her tea on the kitchen counter and went to the living room, opened her notebook and began writing numbers. Lisbon's phone vibrates and she answers it.

"Hey Grace what happened?...really...Jane and I am okay thank you...I'll come over."

Both Jane and Catherine look at her with interest. She looks grim as she puts her phone back and looks at him.

"Red John's signature is in Bosco's office, he left a note for me..."

Cat's eyes widen and Jane tries to speak but she interrupts him.

"I'm going but I need you to stay with my daughter."

"Lisbon you can't just expect me to-"

"Jane you know him better then anyone else. If he tried to go after Catherine today you would know ahead of time. I'll go and take pictures, I'll get the letter and I'll come right back."

There was a moment of silence before she spoke up again.

"I'm putting my trust in you Jane. You want to help me with this? No secrets? Keep her safe until I get back."

Cat gets up immediately and writes 8:50 on Lisbon's hand, she backs away and looks at her mother expectantly. Lisbon looks at her hand for a moment.

"Thanks Catherine I'll keep this in mind."

She turns back to Jane.

"She hasn't talked ever since I got her back and she freaks out if anyone touches her. So don't be offended if she keeps her distance and stays silent."

Lisbon just reaches the door when Jane speaks up.

"You realize that Red John is mine."

They glare each other down, you could feel the anger rising in the room. Lisbon is the first one to talk.

"Red John thinks that Catherine is his property. So this time? He belongs to ME. He's all yours after I get the letter."

And with that she leaves.