Chp 9

Kestra

"You're the perfect princess in my book," Devan stated while kissing my shoulder.

I've never met someone who sees me like a princess. I tried to look at myself through Devan's eyes and I seem different. Looking into the mirror I seem to glow, but from what? Staring at the reflection of myself, I see that other men don't appreciate a good soul. I've made mistakes, but I'm not a bad person, am I?

I turned around to look at Devan, looking at him for the first time. Devan's six feet frame causes me to look up from my five feet four inches. Caramel-brown eyes looking at me, a flat nose and full lips smiling at me. Defined muscles, strong arms, and six-pack abs. Smooth dark chocolate skin and hair always kept in a shadow fade.

I looked into Devan's eyes searching for lies, but all I saw was honesty. He honestly thinks of me like a princess. I guess this is how it feels like to be cherished. God, this man is too good for me. Just when I was about to lean in for a kiss, my mom arrived with Kestephan.

"Kestra, we're here and Kestephan misses you." I stepped away from Devan and went to greet my mother in the kitchen.

"Good Morning ma." I kissed my mom on the cheek. She looks at me with worry in her eyes. "I'm fine. I won't be walking by myself at night again. Don't worry about me." I assured my mother.

"Oh, my love. I wish there was something I could have done." My mom pulled me in for a hug. "I love you and my grandson very much."

"I love you too ma." Kestaphan's laughter caused me to pull away from the hug followed by a male voice causing him to laugh harder.

"I noticed that good-looking gentleman is still here."

"Yes, ma. He even made me breakfast in bed. It feels so good to be taken care of." I sighed remembering how gentle Devan had been with me.

"Hmmm. I imagine. I hope you used protection."

"Ma!"

"What? Black people in Belize have a high risk of contracting HIV." I can't believe my mother mentioned the thought of sex.

"Ma we didn't have sex last night. I had a rough encounter and Devan saved me. I think that is a sweet gesture as it is. And I am proud to be a Belizean."

I spent the rest of my day off relaxing with my mom, Kestephan and Devan. Devan enjoyed being with Kestephan the whole day, I love the way they bonded, laughing at each other. After supper was over Devan called me aside to talk.

"What's up?" I asked

"Thank you for letting me spend the day with your family, I had a great time." Devan kissed my hand before leaving. I stayed rooted on the spot still surprised that a good man exists, but is Devan, my good man?