Newt - Mistletoe

insp. by the fact that it's already december and i am excited af abt christmas!! like i don't even celebrate but like it's such a nice time like warm drinks, cold winter walks, movie marathons...i just love this time of year haha, but what's your fav part of winter? comment so we can bond :))

but i promised you guys an update so here you are :))))))))

--maya xx

~~~~~

Just avoid it.

Relax, (y/n), you can do it.

Just avoid. The mistletoe. And you'll be perfectly fine.

Taking in a deep breath, I repeat those sentences in my head again, before placing my hand on the doorknob.

Wait, wait wait. What if one of the Gladers comes up to you with mistletoe? Or you bump into Alby or something underneath it?

At the though, my hand recoils from the doorknob like I had touched hot metal.

Mayyybe I shouldn't go outside today.

Today was the day that Chuck had declared was Christmas. It had been a while since any of the parties around the fire had taken place, and the boys were practically itching to get a bottle of alcohol in their hands. So Alby being Alby, he took a vote with the rest of the Gladers, and setup around the fire was happening at that very moment.

However, I was still in my room, regretting saying yes to the absurd idea. What was I even thinking - I'm the only girl in this field full of guys, and to think that not a single one would ask for a kiss underneath a branch with likely poisonous berries on it? That was ridiculous, and I was mentally kicking my ass for saying yes in the first place.

I turn around, leaning my back against the door. Okay, (y/n), weigh the pros and cons of staying in here.

I won't get harassed for a kiss. Pro.

I won't have to deal with drunk boys. Pro.

I won't get to see Newt lifting something heavy. Con. Definitely a con.

Out of all the boys in the Glade, Newt was the one boy who made my heart melt from the day I found myself in here. He was literally the one of the only guys who I wouldn't mind kissing. If it were under mistletoe, then that's just a plus.

Any other cons?

No? Then I guess Newt can wait - but hold on.

I don't have any food in here.

And I'm starving.

Fuuuuck.

Groaning, I take a glance in the mirror before opening the door. I glance around, looking at what was going on outside, and watch as the Gladers run around, putting seats around where the bonfire would be and moving carts out of the way. I continue to watch as I walk towards Frypan's kitchen, but suddenly bump into a hard chest.

Aaand this is exactly what I didn't want ha--

My thought process freezes completely when I see Newt above me, and me eyes widen as I back up slightly. "Oh, my god, I'm so sorry," I say, utterly flustered.

The tall blonde boy sets the crates in his arms down into the floor, shaking his head. "Don't worry about it," he murmurs, looking over to where my eyes had drifted. There's silence for a moment, before he says, "I hope Chuck is okay with this. I mean, that this is what he meant by Christmas."

I look up at him. "Relax, Newt, he'll love it."

He glances down at me with an amused smile on his face. "Hm, you think so?" His eyes dart upwards quickly, and the smile fades. Oh no.

"What is it?" I ask, knowing full well what it was.

"Uh..nothing? You're gonna hate it, I could hear you talking to yourself before you came out of your room," he says sheepishly.

"Wait... You put it there?" I ask, pointing up at the mistletoe above our heads.

"I mean...depends?"

A small smile makes its way over my face. "You didn't hear all of what I said then," I murmur.

He arches an eyebrow. "Is that so? What did I miss?"

Ahh shit. Now how do I respond?

"I wouldn't mind if it were you," I say, mouth working before my mind. I flush deeply when he says nothing.

"Really?" He asks after a moment.

Pressing my lips into a small line, I say, "Depends."

He laughs, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "So wait. After I kiss you, you won't slap me or anything like that, right?"

I gasp, feigning horror. "Me? Never!" I say with a laugh, and he grins at me.

"Did you know," he murmurs as his arms wrapped around my waist, "that your laugh is my favorite sound?"

I blush deeply, and he grins, leaning down and sealing his lips with mine swiftly. Both of us are smiling into the kiss, and when I open my eyes when I pull away for breath, the mischief in his eyes is undeniable. "Wanna join me for lunch?" He asks, setting an arm around my waist.

"That would be nice," I say with a laugh, leaning up and pressing a small kiss to the corner of his lips.

"My room, though."

~~~~~

sorry I fell asleep while I was writing this but its up now and I hope you like it :)))

-- maya xx