tbs - pong

~~~

"You're serious right now." I scoff at the girl next to me. "You dragged me here to a party...just to hook up with your ex."

She nods sheepishly.

"Jesus Christ, Laura, you're unbelievable."

She sighs, covering her cheeks to hide the red. "He said he wanted to talk because he didn't like being away from me, and now he just texted me that he's in his room where it's quieter."

I pause, narrowing my eyes slightly. "That sounds off."

"We were together for two and a half years, Y/n." She rolls her eyes. "Relax, nothing's going to happen."

"You brought me to his party, and now you're going to be up in his room for the most part. The hell do I do here solo?" I ask.

"You can..." She looks around. "Hey, they're playing beer pong over there, go check it out! Put yourself out there, you might find someone cute." I glance at the table, eyes fixing on one of the guys playing the drinking game. She wiggles her eyebrows, before letting out a sigh at my flat expression. "Please, Y/n? Just for tonight."

I raise an eyebrow, looking into my best friend's face for a good thirty seconds before I sigh. "Fine. Enjoy having the room to yourself with that prick, and don't forget to text me or call me if it starts going wrong."

She grins. "Thank you, I'll pay you back for this, love you!" She says quickly before she makes a dash to the stairs.

I rock back on my heels, sighing. Well, looks like you're going solo for the night. Put yourself out there, Y/n. You got this. My eyes find the cute boy playing pong again, sighing in relief as they begin to set up a new game. The boy crosses his arms, watching as the guy on the other end of the table fills the cups again. The blonde next to the boy turns to him with a sympathetic face after glancing at her phone screen, before turning away, walking to the front door.

Leaving the cute boy looking for a partner.

Whatever god is orchestrating this in my favor, thanks.

With a sudden burst of confidence, I walk past the group of teenagers crowded on the sofa and smoking a joint, over to the side of the cute boy. I think he's in my Thursday classes. "Looking for a partner?" I ask, raising my eyebrows at him, glancing at the guy filling cups as permission.

"Yeah," he says with a grin. "There you go, Thomas, let's keep going, just give me a sec to fill mine."

Cute boy - Thomas - looks over to me with his brown eyes. "Have you played before?" he asks, British accent and all.

I nod. "Once or twice."

He narrows his eyes slightly in amusement. "Who are you?"

"Why?" I ask, in the same teasing manner.

"I'm wondering why I haven't spoken to this beautiful girl before, considering I'm in some of her classes, and I'm wondering if her name is just as nice." He says, leaning against the side of the table while a smirk sliding upon his face.

"Y/n," I say with a smile. "Pleasure."

"It's all mine, and I was right." he says with a grin as he turns back. "Dyl, you start."

The dark haired boy on the other side whispers something to the blonde next to him, before she tosses the ball across the table, where it lands in the frontmost cup. She grins, walking around the table and reaching for the glass, taking a sip before handing it to 'Dyl', who I assumed she was with.

He tosses the ball over to us. "Your turn," he says with a grin.

"You wanna try?" Thomas asks me, and I nod, shrugging.

"Sure. Don't expect too much though," I say, raising my eyebrows. Time to impress.

Narrowing my eyes, I aim for the furthest cup, and when I toss, I panic for a moment when it hits the rim of the cup next to it - great job Y/n you tried too hard to impress and you failed good fucking job - but grin as it bounces into the cup right where I had aimed. I hear a loud laugh from above me, grinning wider when I see Thomas cover his mouth as he turns. "No way you've played 'once or twice'," he says with a grin. "Because that was sick."

I walk around the table, taking the cup and giving the ball back to Dyl (Dylan, I assume) as I bring the cup back. "Maybe I haven't," I say with a laugh and a wink as I hand him the cup.

He grins, taking a sip as his cheeks flush before he hands the cup over to me. "Cheers."

**

I'm not sure how much time has passed.

In fact, I'm not sure of much right now, but I do know that me and Tom won three rounds of beer pong.

Was it three? I dunno, we drank a lot.

Right now, we're sprawled over the abandoned weed-smoker couch, not really sure how our legs are tangled up. Thomas looks down at me, eyes bloodshot and rimmed red. "This is a bad time to ask, but did you come here with anyone?"

I giggle at his voice vibrating through his chest. "No," I say. "She was busy."

"She?" he asks suddenly, sitting up.

"My best friend, idiot," I grumble. "Lie back down, I was comfy."

"Oh." He breathes out a sigh of relief. "For a second there I thought you bat for the other team and I was getting played."

"I wouldn't play you," I say, leaning up and propping my elbows on his chest. "You're too pretty."

Next time you get drunk, do yourself a favor and remind yourself that you have no filter when you are drunk, Y/n.

He looks at me, before letting his head fall back as he laughs. "I'm too pretty? I would say that about you, but you beat me to it."

"Oh yeah," I say, words falling out. "Brown eyes, swoopy hair, British accent. You're like one of those princes." I say, letting my fingers trail over the collar of his flannel.

"I'm a prince, huh?" He asks, his fingers trailing over my hair.

"Yup."

"Be my princess?" He asks.

"I'm not a princess," I respond, playing with the collar of his shirt as I speak.

"Sure you are. You've got the long hair and the pretty eyes for it." He says.

"Yeah?" I respond softly. "Then it's official; I'm your princess."

He's quiet for a moment, before he speaks up again. "Where's your phone?" He asks.

"In my pocket. Why?"

"Because," he says as he reaches down and grabs it, "I'm going to text you tomorrow, and take you out to dinner to a nice place as my princess."

I watch as he types in his number, then a buzz from his pocket sounds as he sends himself a text to get the number. "Then it's settled. The prince and his princess from this tiny town will formally be going out to dinner tomorrow night."

I smile, looking up at him. "I'm gonna confess something."

"What's that?" He asks.

"I didn't know your name so for the first twenty minutes of meeting you I called you cute boy in my head."

He laughs, and I smile. "Seriously," I say with a grin.

"Cute boy and princess."

I grin up at him, poking the dimple in his cheek lightly. "Yeah, cute boy and princess."

~~~