Chapter 7: Let Me Just Get My Floaties

Comment/ Vote if you want more! :)))))))))))

**********************************

I dragged along the black tiled floor, trying to resist Tom’s strong pull.

I turned around, and pushed at his face, “Tom seriously stop! I can’t swim good please!” He laughed, and held me at the edge of the pool.

He’s not exactly tall, but he’s taller than me. He looked down at me, his blue eyes twinkling with enjoyment. I can see my reflection in his eyes. I look paler than usual, and my black hair is a mess from wrestling with him. I frowned, “Please, please, Tom this is this is low, even for you. You know I can’t swim!” I whispered roughly to him.

He gripped my arms harder, and smirked, “Sorry guys she’s got this special ointment…” he trailed, waving a hand in the air.

Everyone started to laugh, and I thumped him hard on the chest. I expected him to back up, but he just stayed there. Jesus if I can’t move that lanky piece of crap than I need to start working out! I backed away from the pool, and noticed Tom was staring at his chest, where I had hit him.

I didn’t wait for his response; I ran away from the pool, and leaned against the wall by the exit. I wiped sweat from my eyes, and waited for my breath to catch up to me.  I sat down on the floor, and watched everyone having fun, and swimming feeling nothing but jealousy.

When I was little, my Dad took me fishing on the boat with a few of his friends.  I always loved seeing the fish we caught and putting them in the cooler. I would have my little floaters on my arms, a life vest, and swim shoes, and I would have a blast playing with the fishes. Of course we always let them go at the end of the day, and I would be extremely upset. I always named them, and made up stories about them. My Dad told me I use to wave at them when he threw them in the water.

One day my Dad and his friends were inside the boat, because of a storm that was coming, and I had fallen asleep on the couch. I woke up; thinking one of the fishes was dead. When I hurried onto the deck, the boat smashed into a huge wave, and my feet went sliding down the boat. I fell over the boat, into the water. I had no floaters on, a swim vest, and I never learned to swim.

I threw my arms up, attempting to stay above the waves, and called out to my Dad. I started to sink into the water, my eyes still open. My body became stiff, and I was almost at peace for a moment. I looked up at the surface at the water, my eyes unaffected by the salt.  I could see a light at the surface, and the movements of the currents. I saw a dark shadow cover the light, and hand’s grabbed at my little body. I was brought to the surface. I remember seeing the sunset, and then I blacked out. I woke up and my Dad told me one of his friends had heard me scream, and dived into the water to save me.

He never did tell me which friend.

After what seemed like forever, I finally swung my legs over the lounge chair, and stared at the pool. I can do this, this is easy! Everyone can swim, even dogs.  I walked slowly to the edge of the pool, and looked into the water. I dipped my toe into it, to feel a warm temperature. I shivered, because of how cold the air is. I leaned over, to see my reflection. A dark, shadowed face appeared next to me. I screamed, and lifted my head up.

“Tom! What the heck!” I yelled, pushing my hair from my face. My heart continued to pound in  my chest.

“What?” He said innocently, with a chuckle, “I saw you in here, and I figured I’d say ‘Hi.’”

I crossed my arms over me chest, “Go play with someone else.”

He took a step closer, and I took one back instinctively, “No.”