Chapter 1

My best friend was dying and there was nothing we could do. He taught me so much, how to be myself, how to be passionate about life. His last moments on earth were tearing everybody's souls apart, piece by piece. I had never seen my mum and dad so upset, so scared about what's eventually about to come. He's brought so many smiles to millions of people around the world but soon, his death was going to bring tears of sorrow. My friend's name? Farrokh Bulsara but he's known to everyone as Freddie Mercury.

It's the 5th of November 1991, Bonfire Night. I had fond memories of this night every year, spending it with loved ones, dancing with a mini sparkler, playing in the garden with my good friend Pheobe Jr as Pheobe Sr would chase us around the garden. His name really was Peter, he is Freddie's personal assistant but everyone called him Phoebe. Phoebe Jr (who is a girl, don't worry) actually thought she was named after him.

But this year was different. We all try to stay positive and happy for Freddie's sake, but even then it's too hard. Mum was driving her car towards Garden Lodge, with John Deacon in the passenger's seat and me, sitting alone in the back.

My mum was friends with the band Queen for years, she even went out with Roger Taylor when they first met before she fell in love with John. I never really understood what happened after that but basically, she ran away, had me and then found John again. They soon got married after the Magic tour had finished and of course, I was a flower girl. I was eight at the time. I'm now turning 13 in under three weeks. I never saw my real dad again after we left with Queen so I guess John Deacon became the replacement. Don't get me wrong, he's been there for me like any father would but of course, there was always something missing in our relationship.

"Katie, honey!" My mum called as I stared out the window. "Sort out that hair of yours, you want to look presentable for Freddie tonight."

"Mel, she looks absolutely fine. It's not as if everyone's going to concentrate on her hair are they?" John snapped back which took Mum by surprise.

I was now used to their little arguments, actually I was used to being in the middle of everyone's arguments. Ever since Freddie got sick, everyone wants that last moment with him and they're scrapping at each other before we lose him forever. Freddie always made time for me though, I was like the daughter he never had, to think I met him in that Knebworth all those years ago just by chance, of course not knowing the history of how the band used to know my mum.

Soon after that show, he told everyone that he didn't want to gig anymore and we all knew something was up. I'll never forget that day in summer of 1988, I was 9, nearly 10 and I saw John run quickly to the bathroom and was sick. I sprinted over to see if I can help him and I saw him crying in a heap next to the toilet. I hid behind the bathroom door as I saw my mum rushing over to him.

"Sweetheart, what's wrong? Come on now, let's get you cleaned up." She mopped up most of the sick that missed the toilet and brought the seat down so that he can sit. His eyes were stained red and he looked so pale, it was scary. Even mum was terrified as the very sight of him.

"It's Freddie... I'm not even supposed to tell you. I can't, I just can't..." John could hardly get his words out. Mum sat beside him and held him close as he sobbed. I knew something was wrong, even when no-one was supposed to know.

I blinked back into the present day to see that John and mum were still having their little argument, but then, they suddenly went quiet as we approached Freddie's house. It was a peaceful yet depressing moment. I got out of the car first and saw Pheobe chasing after Violet, her eight year old sister. She's a cheeky little monkey when she wants to be and babysitter doesn't really appeal to Pheebs in the slightest. Tommy, who was a year younger than me was sitting by himself, staring at the flowers in Freddie's garden.