Chapter 2

I helped to wash the dishes as soon as the fireworks had finished. I just wanted to get away from everyone for a single moment.

"I can help you if you want." I turned around to see Felix standing beside me, holding a dish towel.

"Great, thanks." I said, sounding glum. I handed him a plate for him to dry and carried on scrubbing the other plates.

"I understand why you wanted to get away. Bit crowded." He stated, obviously trying to start a conversation.

It was quiet for a few seconds then he spoke again. "You know, I don't think we've ever really talked, you and me. I suppose I haven't really been here much with everyone else. I don't like my mum anyway, treated me like I was nothing to her."

I stopped and looked over at him, surprised. "Really?"

"Yeah. The only reason she liked me was because I was result of a romantic night with Queen's rock drummer!"

I laughed but then stopped to see the disappointed look on his face. "Sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"It's ok." Felix said quietly.

"My dad left me when I was 7, not long after mum met John once again. Still don't know to this day why."

"Wow, I thought John was your real dad, you kinda look like him." Felix commented.

"No, mum and John got married when I was 8. I was a pretty good bridesmaid apparently." I joked, making him chuckle.

"Yeah, sometimes I wish Eva was my mum. She's lovely. Do you remember your dad?" Felix asked.

"Not really. All I remember is that my mum never had a relationship with him. I was an accident, was never supposed to be here." I sighed.

Felix put his hand on my shoulder. "That's not true. You are supposed to be here. You have a purpose in life, everybody does. Doesn't matter where we come from really."

I nodded, hypnotised slightly by his brown eyes just for a second. "Thanks Felix." I finally said and he shrugged.

"Also, if you need a friend, especially with everything that's going on, I'll be here if you want me." He added.

I smiled back at him then carried on with the washing. We talked for the next half an hour doing the dishes. We even started singing Freddie's song Living On My Own and started dancing around the kitchen. It was a good chance to forget about everything for just a few moments. I'm surprised we never really talked until just now, especially with our parents and family friends begging us two to get married one day. All I know is, I need friends right now. More than ever before.