T W O

CHAPTER 2: WHO AM I?

???'s POV

[September 25th, 2009]

I shift nervously on the bed in the harshly-lit room. Unfamiliar machines fill the space around me and I feel my throat become even more dry than before. The woman that had introduced herself as "Dr. Carter" tampers with one of the devices before turning to me with a smile.

"You'll be in tip-top condition in no time, Miss," She says with kind eyes and a gentle voice. "Is there anything that you need before I go?"

"May I please have some water to drink?" I whisper, my gaze darting to the doorway as three people walk through it.

"Of course. I'll be right back." Dr. Carter replies before approaching the strangers.

"What is her condition?" A stern-looking man asks her, and I recognize him from the house.

"She was severely dehydrated and she is almost 20 pounds underweight for her age and height category," Dr. Carter informs them, and the two younger people look at me briefly before turning back to the doctor. "She should be able to leave the hospital by the day after tomorrow, but then she'll be on a structured diet to hopefully help her gain some of the weight back."

"Thank you." The first man nods to her.

She nods in return before exiting the room.

"Hello," the dark-haired woman who helped me at the house smiles, approaching my bed and sitting in the chair. "I'm Agent Prentiss. I'm with the F.B.I. These two are Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner and Dr. Spencer Reid."

"Is it alright if we ask you some questions?" Agent Hotchner asks me, and I quickly avert my eyes to the bedsheet, nodding my head to indicate yes.

"Alright," Prentiss says, drawing my attention to her. "Can we start by asking your name? The hospital couldn't find you in the system by your fingerprints."

I blink twice, my eyebrows drawing in confusion.

My name?

My eyes begin to sting with tears of desperation as I attempt pick through my brain. I rub my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"I-" I begin to speak, but my voice is weak as I drop my hand. "I... I don't know," I begin to cry. "I don't remember."

"Hey, it's alright," she soothes me, resting her hand on my shoulder. "We'll figure this out."

"Is there anything you can tell us about the man who took you?" Agent Hotchner asks me. "Do you know how long he had you for?"

"I don't know... A long time," I sigh, trying to compose myself. "I don't know if this helps, but I wasn't always in that house."

"What do you mean?" Dr. Reid asks me. "Did he live in another house and move the both of you?"

"Yes," I nod. "I remember that he packed everything up. I don't know how far we drove, though. He gave me something to make me sleep, I think."

"Call Garcia," Agent Hotchner says. "Have her look to see any homes Andersen owned prior to the one he owned here. Then ask her to go through unsolved missing persons cases in that area in correlation with her approximate age at the time the home was owned by Andersen."

"I'm on it." Dr. Reid says, grabbing a small phone from his pocket and walking out of the door to make the call.

As he exits the door to stand in the hallway, Dr. Carter returns with a small white cup with a lid and a straw.

"Here's some water for you," She smiles. "That along with the I.V. will have you rehydrated before you know it!"

"Thank you very much, Doctor." I smile softly, taking the cup from her hand and taking a long drink to soothe my desert-like mouth.

She leaves the room again, and Prentiss turns to me.

"You've helped us so much already. You need to get some rest," she speaks, rising to her feet. "We'll look into some unsolved missing persons cases and try to help you figure out who you are, alright?"

"Thank you." I smile, my heart swelling in my chest at their kindness to me.

"We'll be in contact with you soon," Agent Hotchner says. "Have a good night."

"You, too." I reply as they exit the room, Agent Hotchner snagging the strap of Dr. Reid's bag and tugging him along as he hangs up his phone.

With one final glance to me and a small, close-mouthed smile, the lanky, curly-haired man disappears around the corner with his fellow agents.

I lean back against the pillow, cherishing the way the mattress feels underneath me. The soft pillow unfortunately does nothing to calm my racing thoughts.

How long have I been gone?

Where did I come from?

Do I have a family?

Who am I?