F I F T E E N

CHAPTER 15: PARTNERS IN CAPTIVITY

Rosemary Cooper's POV

[October 8th, 2009]

I stir as I begin to wake up, seeing through the cracks of the boarded window that it is some time in the morning. I groan, my ears ringing loudly. Over the high-pitched whine, I can hear two voices speaking and I stir, attempting to keep my eyes open despite the dizziness. I let out another groan, straining against the ropes and shifting my weight in the recliner.

"Look who's waking up!" I hear Sanchez chuckle, and I keep my eyes tightly closed, my head aching from the beating I took last night.

When I feel Ramón's hands fiddling with the ropes, I open my eyes again. I smile when I see the dried blood and jagged flesh on the side of his face.

"That looks like it hurts." I smirk weakly, earning a backhanded slap.

Worth it.

"Shut your trap before I show you what it feels like to have a glass smashed against your pretty little face." He grumbles, untying me and throwing me onto the rug.

He grabs the rope and takes my ankle, dragging me roughly across the room into the dining area, stopping suddenly. He hooks his hands under my arms, hauling me up onto one of the dining chairs. I take a deep breath, looking up and immediately having my breath catch in my throat.

"No." I choke out, stumbling out of the chair towards the familiar figure tied to another chair.

Spencer looks at me with sad eyes as I land on my hands and knees, the side of his hair matted with blood.

"Isn't it a lovely surprise?" Ramón laughs, and I muster all of my strength before throwing myself at him.

He is taken off-guard by my sudden attack, my arms pushing at his waist and he topples to the ground. I actually land a few good punches on his face, bloodying his nose and busting his lip. He curses and finally gets his bearings about him, tossing me off of him and rolling over me. He punches me twice and I kick my legs, spitting blood at him.

I reach for his belt, knowing that's where he keeps his gun. I grab it, but he notices and smacks it out of my hand. It slides across the floor, just out of my reach. He slams the back of my head against the floor, a hollow thud following. I gasp, my body going limp.

Dizziness comes upon me once again; it seems that vertigo has become my best friend these past few days. Sanchez grabs me and hauls me onto the chair, tying me onto it tightly as my head droops to one side. I groan as he stands up, beginning to walk away.

"Hey! Come back here!" I yell, but my voice is thick and my words sound all jumbled up and tired. "You have to let him go! He doesn't deserve this!"

Sanchez turns on me lividly. "You are an ungrateful, worthless, unwanted, useless, undesirable, intolerable little-"

"That's not true," Spencer cuts him off loudly before turning to look at me, speaking urgently. "Don't listen to him, they're all lies."

"If you mattered, why didn't anyone find you until nearly two decades after Mike took you?" Ramón asks, a smile stretching across his lips. "Hmm?"

"That's not fair!" Spencer tries to stand up for me, but the sting of Sanchez's words have already hit me.

When Ramón hears Spencer's words, he punches the poor man in the face, making me scream out for him to stop.

"Please!" I beg when I hear Spencer's cry of pain. "My God, just leave him alone! Please!"

"Why should I do anything that you want me to do?" Ramón scowls, but he thankfully takes a few steps away from Spencer.

"I-I honestly don't have a reason," I admit, sighing. "But I know that he doesn't have anything to do with what's going on between us. He has friends that are worried sick about him and he doesn't deserve to be here. He's hurt, and he's probably hungry and cold. He deserves to be safe and warm. Why didn't you just leave him alone? Why did you have to drag him into this?"

"Shut up!" Ramón screams, pulling at his hair.

"Why? Because you know that he shouldn't be here?" I offer, and Spencer just watches our exchange quietly. "Because he shouldn't."

Sanchez storms down the hall, not saying another word. The whole cabin shakes with the force of the slamming door.