N I N E T E E N

CHAPTER 19: THE FINAL POLAROIDS

The Next Morning

[October 11th, 2009]

The team was sent into a panic when Spencer turned up missing a few days ago. The pressure was on even more than before; they all knew that Sanchez had something to do with his disappearance.

They had not received any clues until Penelope Garcia burst into the room where Jennifer Jareau was going over case files alone.

"I just got two pictures at my apartment." Penelope sobs, holding them out to her friend.

"Did you message Hotch?" Jennifer demands, taking the photos into her hands.

The image of a beaten Spencer is labeled 'say' and the image of an unconscious (she hoped) Rosemary said 'goodbye'.

"Say goodbye..." Jennifer reads out loud.

"Is he killing them?" Penelope asks, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"I don't know, Penelope," Jennifer sighs, running a hand over her face as tears prick at her eyes. "Send pictures of those to Hotch and the rest of the team. I'll call them."

Penelope nods and both women go to their phones, Jennifer stepping away from the table for a bit of privacy.

"JJ, what is it?" Aaron Hotchner answers his phone from the living room of the Carlos and Isabella Sanchez.

"We just got two more pictures," she tells him, the waver in her voice concerning him enough to bring the team to another room and put her on speaker phone. "It was a picture of Reid and a picture of Rosemary. They were captioned 'say' and 'goodbye' and Garcia found them at her apartment this morning."

"He's killing them." Morgan slams his fist down on the kitchen table. "The son of a-"

"Derek, calm down," Rossi holds up his hand in an attempt to placate the younger agent. "We'll find out where he's keeping them."

The agents quickly hang up and re-enter the living room, asking as many questions as possible; desperate to find where Ramón Sanchez was keeping their friends.

They pilfer through photo albums from when they lived in the states, asking if he ever had any friends with places where he could be keeping them. They even went through every room of the house, looking at every little thing. Prentiss eventually discovers a dusty photograph under a dresser in one of the rooms.

It depicts a younger version of Ramón kneeling in front of a dead deer that he had shot with an arrow; his father kneeling next to him.

"Where was this taken?" She asks the parents.

"Ramón and I used to go hunting with his uncle Luis - may God rest his soul," Señor Sanchez informs them. "Luis used to own a few acres in with a small hunting cabin, but it has been abandoned for years."

Morgan quickly dials Garcia, telling her to find properties owned by Luis Sanchez. She finds one lot that is still in his name, and she quickly informs Jennifer. Within the hour, they have assembled a rescue team of police officers and fellow agents.

They race to the forest, using their GPS to pinpoint exactly where the cabin should be according to the records that Garcia dug up. They find the cabin, storming in only to discover that it is empty.

"Hotch, it's empty," Jennifer tells Aaron tearfully over the phone. "They were here. we found some of their blood and ropes and food that's still fresh. We missed them by just a few days. Maybe even hours."

"Well that tells me that they might still be alive," Hotchner points out. "You're upset that you found an empty cabin, but just imagine how you would feel if you found them in still in the cabin but it was too late."

"You're right," Jennifer nods, her stomach twisting. "I'm sorry."

"International found us a quick way out of here," he informs her. "We can be back to Quantico by the end of the day."

"But what do we do from there?" She inquires. "Do you know where he took them?"

"I have an idea."