T E N

CHAPTER 10: THE GREAT ESCAPE

Rosemary Cooper's POV

[October 3rd, 2009]

I wait for several hours, and I finally hear Sanchez's heavy snores coming from the other room. I edge my leg up onto the couch, moving it towards my right hand. I bite my lip and quietly gasp, reaching for the knife concealed in my sock. I finally squirm close enough to grasp the handle in my hand.

My palms are clammy and a cold sweat has formed on my forehead as I tighten my grip, not wanting to drop it. The room is dim other than a lamp burning in the corner, casting sinister-looking shadows across the floor. I uncomfortably twist my wrist around to saw away at the rope on that side. After a few desperate moments of wondering if the knife was too dull from age, the rope finally begins to give way. Frayed edges of rope stick up all around the blade and I finally get it all the way through, freeing my right arm.

Without wasting any time, I quickly use my now-freed hand to cut the other rope away from my left wrist. I rub the reddened and sore skin, looking around and listening for Sanchez. He is still snoring away and my eyes land on the navy blue backpack in the corner. I slide my feet across the floor, quietly making my way over to it without making the old wooden floor creak.

I grab it, slowly unzipping it and looking inside to find a first-aid kit, a bottle of water, a pair of stretchy black pants, and a huge mustard-colored coat. As quietly as a mouse, I enter the kitchen, grabbing another bottle of water and two protein bars, shoving them into the bag and zipping it again after adding the steak knife.

I put my arms through the straps of the bag, making my way to the front door. Holding my breath, I turn the deadbolt. My heartbeat accelerates as it clicks somewhat loudly, but the snoring continues. I sigh in relief and open the door just enough for me to slip through it and I close it quietly behind me.

The first thing I notice is the cold air nipping at my skin. The second is the immense forest surrounding the cabin on all sides.

The house is built in a clearing, but the trees start roughly fifty yards away from all the walls. I take a shaky breath, not sure what kinds of animals could be lurking in the darkness. Where I stand in the meadow is brilliantly illuminated by the moonlight, so I immediately sprint towards the edge of the forest where I would be more hidden.

Once I reach the underbrush, I put the backpack down and unzip it, putting the coat on over my sweater and tugging the skirt down my legs. I step into the sweatpants without taking off the white tennis-shoes and pull them up, tying the string tightly around my waist so that they wouldn't fall down. It is far too cold for the skirt and my legs would be too exposed to twigs and thorns if I didn't put the pants on. As I tuck the skirt into the backpack and zip it, I take one last look at the God-forsaken cabin.

Just as I begin to turn around to run off into the woods, I decide that it would be the best idea to hold on to the knife, so I re-open the bag, grabbing it before zipping it and slinging the straps over my shoulders. This time when I glance at the cabin, I see a stream of bright light leaking from under the front door.

I gasp as the door slams open, the silhouette of Ramón filling the doorframe. I immediately sprint into the woods, veering off to the right so I wouldn't be making an obvious straight path from the front door.

The light from the moon is no longer fully lighting my way, not giving me as much comfort as I had in the clearing. I run as quickly as I can without stopping for several minutes, adrenaline rushing through my body and giving me the strength to persevere. I finally stop running, pressing myself against a tree and listening to my surroundings as I catch my breath. The woods are deathly silent, no sounds to be heard from any direction.

My ears strain to hear even the faintest sound of civilization; a car honking, a door slamming, even a dog barking. I am greeted by the sound of total silence and fear begins to sink in. How deep into the woods am I? Will I even be able to make it out?

I close my eyes and rest the back of my head against the tree, taking another breath as I listen. I hear nothing, so I turn to my right to begin to run again. I let out a terrified shriek as I run straight into Ramón's chest, and he grabs my throat, pushing me back against the tree.

"Nice try, Princess." He chuckles darkly before clubbing me with the butt of his gun.

My vision fades before blacking out completely, a tear of defeat leaking from my eye as I completely lose consciousness.