T H I R T E E N

CHAPTER 13: THE THIRD POLAROID

Dr. Spencer Reid's POV

[October 5th, 2009]

"My God." I murmur harshly under my breath as I look at the copy of the photo that JJ found taped to her front door this morning.

"I know," JJ sighs. "She's reached her breaking point."

Garcia enters with the original photo in a clear, plastic evidence bag.

"Just got it through the forensics," she says, her eyes watery and her voice shaking as she addresses the two of us. "They confirmed that the blood spattered on the photograph belongs to Rose."

"Why would he hurt her this badly?" I question out loud. "The first caption 'Isn't she beautiful?' shows that he cares about her to some extent. The second caption 'why won't you guys save Her?' and this caption 'time's almost up... HURRY!' show that he wants us to save her. He doesn't want her dead at all or she'd be dead!"

"He's also changed her clothes," JJ points out as I steady my breathing. "In the first photo she was in a yellow sweater. We couldn't see her clothing in the second, but in this one she has a green sweater on."

"Why would he play dress-up with someone that he wants to kill?" Penelope offers.

"Exactly! There's no way that she'll be killed right now. This is just the opening act. He has something bigger planned." JJ sighs, opening her phone to call Hotch.

Penelope listens in on JJ's phone call, sending a scan of the latest Polaroid to Hotch, Rossi, Morgan, and Prentiss.

I pace the floor, pulling at my hair like a madman. I have gone through every single file involving both Andersen and Sanchez, but I still have nothing. I let out a loud sound of frustration, startling JJ and Penelope's attention off of their work.

"Reid, we'll find her," JJ assures me, standing up and placing her hand on my arm. "Don't worry."

"Don't worry!?" I snap in a loud voice, pulling my arm away from her comforting touch. "You're telling me to not worry?"

"Please calm down, Spencer!" Garcia pleads, her fragile voice breaking my heart even further. "You're scaring me."

"I know what it's like to be in her position!" I rant, pacing the floor again. "She's been beaten, starved, and God knows what else! She's cold and she's alone and she's wondering if we're even looking for her anymore."

"Spencer, you know that we never gave up on finding you," JJ interjects. "Most of us didn't even sleep!"

"I know that you didn't, but that doesn't change the way that I felt when I was tied up, beaten, drugged, and starving in that cabin with Tobias Hankel!" I cry, feeling all of my emotions start to overpower me. "She must be so afraid... Just wait until I get my hands on Sanchez! That son of a bi-"

"Spencer!" JJ snaps loudly, making me be quiet.

I hear that Penelope has began to cry and I reach up, feeling hot tears running down my own cheeks.

"I-I'm so sorry," I sob, crumpling into the nearest chair. "I just identify with her... I have such an overpowering amount of feelings towards her that I can't even begin to comprehend, let alone explain."

"Shhhhh, Spence," JJ hushes me soothingly, allowing me to cry on her shoulder. "I know."

Penelope rolls her chair closer and encompasses both of us in her arms, the three of us crying together and reaching a whole new level of comfort and vulnerability with each other.

꧁꧁꧂꧂
Meanwhile

Agents Hotchner, Rossi, Morgan, and Prentiss make their way down a crowded street of a small town in Mexico. The brown dust clings to their shoes and pant-legs, occasionally choking them when carts filled with goods to sell are being driven or pulled past them.

They are determined to make it to the next city before dark, a straight path to the Sanchez residence impossible by plane or car. They continue to follow their designated path, keeping conversation to a minimum as their minds are on their team back in the states and poor Rosemary.

Seeing the most recent photo has instilled a whole new level of dedication in their hearts to this case.

They will stop at nothing to save this woman before it is too late.