Chapter 9

"Let's take you home"

He spread his wings again, and you two landed again. It took you a couple of minutes to spot shaking and regain your balance. Even though you felt like both of you had something to say, only footsteps could be heard. You two walked but suddenly, he stopped. Thinking that he will continue, you didn't stop.

"Hey, (f/n)! Your house is here."

You turned around and took a look around you. You really did go past your house.

"Oh, sorry, I was just..."

"No need to be sorry" he said. You made a few steps towards him and said:

"Ayato, thank you for everything. I lost a lot in the past six months, and you are the only one I felt safe with... But I can't help but to think that you might kill me one day."

"It's ok. I know."

"I'm sorry I have such thoughs, but it is how humans think. I actually thought that ghouls kill a humans in the second they see them, but I realized that thay are just like humans. I just got overwhelmed by the thoughts of him... I just wanted to save him, and I regret not coming with him..."

-FLASHBACK-

"I'm going to grocery store, you need something?" Your younger brother asked
"I do, but I'll go with you-" you were interrupted
"(f/n)! I'm not a baby anymore! I can go alone!"
"No, I just have a lot of stuff to buy, and It'll be heavy" you said
"No, I can do it, just tell me what you need"
"I have a list" you handed it to him "you really don't need my help?"
"Relax, I can" he said
"Fine, just be careful!"

-END OF FLASHBACK-

"It is good that you didn't come, because you would be dead now" He told you
"But he was probably scared, and he was probably-"
"Crying and screaming your name" He looked at his feet
"How would you know?" You asked
"That is what all humans do"
"But how do you know how he was screaming my name?! Ayato, look at me!"

He looked at you with guilt in his eyes. He just wanted ground to disappear so he would fall far away from you and guilt. He had to tell you, and it is either going to strengthen your friendship or, more likely, destroy it.

"I was there" He quietly said
"W.. What?"
"I was there"
"You killed him, didn't you?" You were already crying. Your hand wiping your tears away, and the other shaking him to get some kind of response.

"I didn't, it was another ghoul who killed him, I was just there." He looked you directly in the eyes, expecting the worst, yet still having some hope.

You stepped away from him. That one step made him think that it is the closest he'll ever see you again, and the further away you go, further the safeness seemed to be, even though you can't protect him. But that's when it clicked in his head. You being around him is not making him safe, but the fact that you are safe is. He realized, that the urge to protect you is not caused by the guilt, but something else he has he er experienced before. That grew to be something else. The times you two spent together his brain registered as the result of guilt, but his heart was playing a dangerous game. His heart blinded him through all those moments, and when it was hinting what is happening he didn't realize it. He didn't realize he was in love. He let himself fall for someone, or better said, he let his heart choose whatever it wanted. But to fall for a human?

"Why are you telling me this now?" You asked, almost whispering
"Because I felt like I needed to tell you" He looked away"

"Really, and why would you?" you raised your voice

"Because I care"

-------------------------------------------

An extra late update! the Ayato feels...xd

I have also published another book! It is called "My mistress" and it is a Kpop story, but doesn't have to do anything with Kpop except the characters, so if you have time, please take a look!