Chapter Thirteen

The driver drove Colton all the way up to the front door of his estate. All the lights were off and it looked like it had been completely shut down. Colton walked up the steps, wiping a tear from his eye, and went to the door. He didn't have a key to unlock it and hoped that someone would be there to unlock it for him. He knocked a few times and stood there and waited. 

How could she be pregnant right now? He wasn't ready and neither was she. He leaned against wall as he waited and someone finally came to the door. 

"Hello?" She said poking her head out of the door. He recognized her accent, she must have been from Newcastle, and she had the Geordie accent. But he had never seen her before. 

"You must be new," he said grimly standing up straight and looking down at her. She was pretty with thick long dark hair and big brown eyes. 

"Umm yes, this is my second week," she said to him. She clearly didn't know who he was. 

"Mmhmm," he managed to say as he pushed himself passed her. She pulled with a struggle to shut the big door and attempted to follow him. 

"May I ask who you are?" She said finally catching up to him. Most of the furniture had white sheets draped over them so they didn't collect dust.

Colton turned to look at the girl when she asked that question. It quite amused him that she didn’t even know the people she was working for. Coincidentally he was standing in front of a large portrait of himself as well, and she clearly couldn’t see the resemblance.

“Where is Arthur?” he finally asked. The girl looked up at him wondering how he would know how Arthur is. Colton had to finally tell her who he was; it was killing him. “I own the house; I’m Colton Manning.” Her mouth dropped and her hand came up to cover it immediately.

“Oh my gosh. I had no idea; that is so bad. I work for you and I don’t even know who you are,” she said as her face began to turn red.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it. What is your name?” he asked.

“Abigail.”

“Where is Arthur?” he asked again wondering why he hadn’t opened the door.

“Oh, he is down in his office. He got a phone call a couple of hours ago and hasn’t come out since,” she said. Colton knew why; Arthur and Robert had been good friends for Colton’s entire life. Colton walked past Abigail and began walking towards the hallway that would take him to the staff quarters. Abigail followed hastily behind him and when they arrived in the staff quarters everyone looked up at him not believing he was actually there. Marge had tears in her eyes and her pudgy face was red from crying. She walked up to Colton and hugged him tightly. His body stiffened; he didn’t want anyone’s sympathy. 

“I’m so sorry,” she said as tears began to stream down her face again. Colton padded her back; she seemed more upset then him. He pried her off of him and he walked down the hallway towards Arthur’s office door.

“Just like his father; no emotion,” Marge whispered to Abigail hoping Colton didn’t hear it. He did and smiled a little to himself; she was right, neither one of them ever showed any type of emotion. He didn’t knock on the door and just barged in.

Arthur was sitting behind his small desk with his arms crossed across his chest. There was a glass of scotch half full sitting on the desk and Colton walked into the door while shutting the door behind him. Arthur went to stand up but Colton motioned for him to stay in his seat and he sat back down. Colton sat down in the chair across from Arthur and they sat in relative silence. Arthur poured him a glass of scotch and Colton gulped it down quickly.