Chapter Twenty-One

Kayla woke up in the middle of the night. Her belly was hurting more than usual and she had no idea what was going on. She walked slowly down to her mother's room, every once in a while she would have to stop to take a breath. Now she knew what was going on. She was in labor. She pushed opened her mother's door slowly and walked to her side of the bed.

"Mom," she whispered. Jane opened her eyes slightly and Kayla looked down at her. "It's time. The baby is coming." Jane's eyes flew open and she jumped out of bed.

"Rick! Rick! It's time to go!" Jane exclaimed. Rick jumped out of bed as well and they raced to get their clothes on. "Where is Colton? He should be here helping you."

"Oh, shit, I forgot to wake him up when I left our room. I'll go back," Kayla said slowly getting off the bed and began to waddle back to her room. "You guys get everyone else up and we will meet you in the entrance hall." Jane and Rick watched as Kayla left their room to go and find her husband. They turned to look at each other with smiles and proud looks upon their faces. Kayla walked back down the hallway to her bedroom and Colton was lying in bed still sleeping. He had sprawled out across the empty bed since she left and was snoring. She sat on the bed next to him looking down at him. Their lives were about to change. She gently tried to wake him up but when he wouldn't budge she had to start yelling.

"Colton! Seriously, get up! The baby is coming!" Kayla finally yelled at him. His eyes widened at the mere mention of the baby coming and he jumped out of bed. He raced around the room grabbing clothes and his phone. He was dressed in under a minute and ready to go.

"Come on then! Lets get to the hospital! Did you call them and tell them you were coming in?" Colton asked holding his hands out for her so he could help her get up.

"Shit, another thing I forgot," Kayla said as she stood up with Colton's help. She had changed earlier into LuLu Lemon pants and a long cardigan that covered the pajama tank top she was wearing.

"Don't worry, Arthur called and there are cars outside waiting for us," Giovanna said as she walked into the room. She was all ready to go and she wasn't even glued to her iPad screen. Colton smiled and grabbed Kayla's arm and pointed at the suitcase for Giovanna to carry out. She scowled at him at first but picked it up without verbal complaint and walked out behind them. Ashley, Jane, Rick, Byron, Anna, and Dylan were all standing in the entrance hall with some of the staff members straggling to see what the commotion was all about. Arthur was there with his robe on; Marge had come out of the hidden kitchen doors with curlers in her hair and even Abigail had ventured out of the staff hall to see what was going on.

"You will tell us of any news as soon as you hear right?" Arthur asked as he helped Colton bring Kayla to the car.

"Of course," Colton said as he put Kayla in the passenger seat. Byron, Anna, and Giovanna got into their car, while Jane, Rick, Ashley and Dylan followed in a smaller car.

"This is it," Kayla said looking over at Colton as he sat down in the driver's seat.

"This is it," Colton reiterated to her smiling. The drive to hospital was the longest and most painful drive of Colton's life. Kayla continuously squeezed his hand in pain almost to the point where he couldn't feel anything. He would look over at her sitting in the seat so uncomfortably and he felt guilty about being in pain over his one hand when she was the one who was about to push out a human being. He would smile at her to attempt to comfort her and then the contractions would begin again.

When the family arrived at the hospital Dylan grabbed a wheelchair from the Emergency Room and wheeled it out to Kayla. Colton lifted her out of the car and he wheeled her in. Byron and Dylan drove the cars around to park and Jane, Rick and Ashley followed Colton and Kayla into the hospital. There were several nurses already waiting for them and they showed them to their big private room on the fourth floor. Colton wheeled her into the large room and the nurses helped to get her onto the bed. His heart was beating through his chest and he just wanted this to be over for her. She looked like she was in so much pain and he wanted to take it all away from her.