Chapter Nine: Running away with Her

What am I even doing?

Peeta thought to himself as he drove, not glancing over at Katniss who was sitting in the passenger seat of his car. She was serious apparently, and it didn't take her but ten minutes to pack her clothes and sneak them to his car. Gale hadn't called. Yet. Peeta knew it wouldn't be long before Gale was blowing up their phones, demanding answers, but for now, they were okay.

When they arrived at the motel, Peeta went to the front office and bought a room and together, he and Katniss took their belongings inside the room small. There was a dresser against the wall and another dresser with a television on top. There was only one bed which they would have to share and on each side was a nightstand holding a lamp. Connected to the room was a bathroom. Katniss and Peeta could barely fit in there together since it was so small.

"Well, here we are, I guess," Peeta muttered, sitting down on the bed.

"I guess so," Katniss replied, sitting next to him.

Peeta sighed. "What are we going to do when Gale finds out you're missing?"

She only shrugged, which made Peeta sigh again. "He'll probably call the cops to get me arrested for kidnap or something--"

She cut him off. "He won't. I know he won't."

"How do you know?"

"I just do." With that, Katniss kicked off her shoes and laid back on the bed, opening her arms for Peeta. Peeta shook his head.

"Katniss, I'm not in the mood for cuddling right now. I'm trying to think of how I can possibly keep myself from going to jail if Gale does indeed call the cops. Maybe--"

Katniss sat up and pecked him on the lips. "Stop. Trust me," was all she said. After awhile, Peeta nodded and lied down with her, cuddling her. She relaxed in his arms as he did so. After an hour, Peeta had to get up to go to work.

"Where are you going?" Katniss asked as she sat up, watching him gather up his work uniform so he can go take a shower.

"I have work today."

"Oh," was all she said. Peeta went to the bathroom and started the shower before undressing himself. He then got into the shower and washed himself. He washed his hair as well while he was at it. Once he finished, he turned off the water and stepped out, grabbing a towel and drying himself off. Once he put on his undershirt and boxer briefs, he pulled on his uniform. He dried his hair, ruffling it a bit with his towel before exiting the bathroom.

"When will you be back?" She asked him as he slipped on his Vans.

"Around five, why?"

"Well, I mean, I'll be here by myself until you get back," she frowned. Peeta kissed her forehead.

"You'll be fine. Just don't open the door if someone knocks and keep it locked."

She nodded as he pressed a soft kiss to her lips. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," he smiled as he grabbed his jacket. He then left, locking the door behind him.

Peeta stood at the cash register, bored. No one had come into the bookstore yet and it had been open for three hours already. Just as Peeta was about to go to the work room to sit down, the bell had rung which signaled that someone had entered the store. Peeta stood straighter. When he noticed who it was, his eyes widened a bit. "Oh crap..."

Gale.

His face was red, his eyes bloodshot and hatred filled. "Where the crap is Katniss?!" He snarled, going to the cash register and slamming his fist down.