Chapter Seventeen: Unnerving Situation

Katniss reluctantly picked her phone up a few moments later. "Prim...oh god..." she paused and took a deep breath. Twins. Of course. With her luck, this would've happened. She should've expected multiples. "Wh-What...I don't even know what to say," she stumbled over her words.

"Katniss, c-can you and Peeta come get me? I...I don't wanna be here right now. Mom is already obsessing over them- she's going to turn Gale's old room into the nursery- I can't," she cried. Although she loved her sister, and she loved her dearly, she felt sick to her stomach at the idea of facing her mother sooner than she definitely wanted to. She had made plans not to see her until possibly her and Peeta's wedding (which was years down the road in Katniss' mind). Wait, wedding? Why do you continue to make assumptions that you and Peeta will get married?

Katniss ran a hand over her face with a sigh. She was having a hard time comprehending the situation even though it was clear as everything. After several confused looks from Peeta, she handed the phone to him to deal with a hysterical Prim. She stood up from her seat and went to their bedroom as Peeta tried to console her younger sister. She collapsed in a heap on the bed, trying to wrap her mind around everything. Your mother is having twins. What is there not to understand about that?

She was conflicted by her own feelings. She didn't know why she felt the way she did. She rolled over onto her back, extending her arms to her sides. She stared up at the ceiling, blinking a few times as she breathed deeply. She wasn't going to let herself cry over this. She was tired of crying. That didn't stop her feeling of holding an even deeper grudge for a mother although this wasn't even something she could blame her for. She closed her eyes and sighed.

Peeta entered the room nearly ten minutes later, careful approaching the bed. He placed her phone down on the nightstand, peering down at her as he sat next to tense figure. "I told her we would be there tomorrow afternoon to get her. I had to reason with her seeing as you've had a pretty...emotional day already as is."

"Thank you, Peeta," she said softly, and she sat up, wrapping her arms around his torso from the side, and resting her cheek against his shoulder as he moved his arm behind her. They sat in silence for a few moments before Peeta pressed a small kiss to her head.

"What's on your mind?" He asked her quietly, his large hand moving to rest on the small of her back.

"It's a million things," she said after awhile with a sigh. "I can't explain every single thing, but I know a majority of it revolves around how I don't know why I feel a certain way and can't explain how I feel a certain way. It's like...I'm feeling every single emotion known to man, but I don't know why I feel this way. Like I'm...angry, but why am I angry? I'm sad, but why am I sad?"

Peeta considered this, a thoughtful expression on his face. "You're ambivalent," he suggested, and Katniss furrowed her brow. He chuckled at her expression as he tucked some of her dark hair behind her ear. "It's not an insult. I promise. It just means that...you have contradicting feelings about someone or something." She nodded in agreement. It was true, and he summed her up perfectly with just that one word. "Maybe if you sleep on it, you'll figure out how you really feel over the situation."

She complied to him, and with that, she pulled away from him and pulled back the comforter and sheet to their bed. Peeta stood up and went to make sure all of the lights were off. She was emotionally exhausted and sleep was something she honestly longed for. She slid under the covers, getting comfortable on her side of the bed. She waited for Peeta, knowing that she wouldn't be able to sleep peacefully without him.

He returned shortly, and she lifted the covers for him. He climbed in next to her and wrapped his arms around her body, allowing her to melt against him. "Goodnight, Kat," he told her, kissing her neck softly. She sighed as she closed her eyes.