Chapter 4 - Pull

I played with the thread of my jean shorts that were torn, thinking to myself. How come Ash always leaves? It's unfair. I deserve a reason, after all we live together and are best friends.

I left the thread alone remembering what my mother said, if I keep doing that it'll fall apart. I sighed and propped my feet up on the dash bored thing of Ash's truck. I leaned back and closed my eyes, making a dramatic "Ugh"

I could tell he rolled his eyes, "We're almost there."

I nodded and laid both my hands on my stomach. Suddenly shocks ran through my leg. My eyes flew open, "what are you doing?" I asked as I saw Ash rubbing up and down my thigh making me feel very awkward. I slapped his hand away.

He tensed a bit. "You-you cut yourself?" it came out more like a whisper. I looked down and noticed he was only rubbing my cuts. I quickly pulled my feet back down. Ash turned his attention back to the road. An awkward silence fallowed.

"Like you care..." I mumbled for only me to hear.

His head snapped in my direction and he looked me deep in the eyes. Like searching through my soul. I stared right back, confused. "You listen to me Gabriella, I care. I care that you've been cutting your legs and arms, I care that a jerk like Dean came along and did that to you and I care about you. I'm sorry I wasn't here when that was going on." he turned back to the road.

A tear slipped my eye but I quickly rubbed it away so Ash wouldn't notice. "I wish that were true, Ashton." I snapped. Like he cared. He left me alone and then the Dean crap came along and I suffered for months. He always leaves.

"Can we just forget about this?" he sighed.

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever."

"Hey we're here" Ash smiled. I'm still mad at him. Why does he have to leave all the time? What's more important than family...sorta? I nodded and jumped out as soon as we parked. I slammed the door shut and looked to our destination. "Don't worry, we've got other plans for tonight so don't go all, I hate it." I could here Ash behind me.

Slowly a smile formed it's way onto my lips. I walked over to his side and linked our arms. Forget him leaving, he's my best friend. Forgive and forget. "I love it. Thank you Ash."

He smiled and we walked into the hospital. When Ash and I were thirteen we would always come down to the hospital to talk and play with cancer patients. It made you really appreciate life and that your perfectly healthy. At first it was pretty hard seeing the kids sick in bed and the depressed ones, but we're helping them at least a little.

We pushed the door open and we walked to Anna, she still works here? She looked up from a chart in her hands when she saw us. She smiled brightly and quickly walked over. "Ash and Gabriella, I knew it. You two were always just so perfect together!" she hugged me.

I hugged her back ignoring her words, thinking Ash will correct her. He didn't. We pulled away and I looked at Ash. "Actually Gabriella and I aren't together, Anna. Still just friends."

Her mouth formed a O shape and she nodded. I smiled and we all began walking down the hall. "So, you two here for the kids?"

"Yes ma'am." I replied. She smiled and handed us a chart.

"You know what to do, I'll see you later?"

"Yes ma'am" Ash replied. He smiled and grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers. I smiled back and with my other hand checked the chart. Carter, room 3671.

"So, your Eleven?" I asked. Carter nodded starring out the window. I nodded and grabbed my phone. She had Cody Simpson posters all over her room. It was cute. "Would you mind if I played some music? Sorry it's just this one songs in my head and I wanna hear it again so bad."