Prologue

“Run…Spot…Run,” I sang as I walked through the abandoned factory. "But I'll find you again." This had been the first time he had ever tried to leave me. I slowly walked over the dust covered floor, broken shards of glass crunching below my feet. When I found him, I would make sure I punished him for this disobedience. “HOW DARE YOU RUN FROM ME,” I yelled. This was getting me nowhere. I had been searching this decrepit building for the past three hours and I still hadn’t found him. I sighed, leaning against the brick wall.

The black hair that was pulled into a bun had long since come undone. Sweat dripped into my brown eyes as leaned back and rested against the wall. I had started the search for Spot this morning when I noticed he wasn’t in his usual place.

I was a good master, why would he run from me. “Spot,” I called again. “Here boy! Please come out. I promise I’ll be better to you this time. I won’t even kick you for this. Just please come back to me; please.” I heard a sound to my right and removed myself from the wall. I knew he would come to me. I walked towards the noise I heard, moving cautiously through the debris. “Spot, where are you?” I turned corner after corner, trying to find the source of that infernal noise. Cob webs stuck to my hair and clothes as I pushed forward continuing my descent into the catacombs that was this building.

Darkness pressed in all around me, releasing my suppressed shudder. I rounded the last corner and saw the rickety wrought iron steps that spiraled before me. I clicked the flashlight that a had on the on position and started taking the steps one at a time. My footsteps resounded loudly throughout this part of the building. Whoever was up there would know that I was coming. I didn’t know what waited for me at the top of the stairs but I didn’t care. I just wanted my dog back. He had been gone long enough. I heard the sound again; louder this time. I raced up the steps my feet clunking on the iron steps. I could hear the blood rushing through my ears. My breaths came out in huffs as I continue to chase after this phantom noise.

I reached the top of the steps with mixed feelings. With a defeated look around the room I realized that the sound I had heard had not come from Spot as I had thought. I scanned the area and saw only faded boxes. Old newspapers littered the floor. The way things had been placed it looked as though this room was a hangout for the local kids. I walked towards the bow windows and looked out. There had been warnings on the news about a blizzard headed this way. If I didn’t find him soon my poor dog would probably not make it through the night. Thick clouds began to blanket the rapidly darkening sky and a light spray of flurries started falling. I loved snow more than anything, it was so pure and clean. I let out a sigh, I should just let him freeze to death. Stupid dog, I thought.

I jumped back from the window when something furry brushed my legs. I looked down and saw the tan and black cat weaving in and out between my legs. “Go away,” I said, kicking at it. “I hate cats, they disgust me.” Instead of leaving the cat continued to rub up against me; purring louder. I kicked it harder this time hoping that it would leave me alone. It meowed and looked up at me with blue eyes and walked back over to me; resuming its rubbing. The only animal allowed to touch me like that was Spot.

I reached down and picked up the cat, it purred louder as I cradled the kitten to me. I walked back over to my spot at the window and slid the window open. A blast of cold air entered the room, stripping away any and all heat from the area. The snow was beginning to come down harder now. A white dusting already covering the ground below. I looked down at the cat in my arms and laughed. No animal should have to suffer through a night with temperatures in the negatives. I was doing this cat a service. PETA would be proud of me. I grabbed the cat by the neck with one hand and started to place the it out of the window.

From this height, the cat wouldn’t suffer much. As I poked my head out of the window and looked at the waiting cement I knew the instant the cat hit the ground it would die instantly. I stretched my arm out of the window as far as it would go. The cat dangled from hands; the only thing keeping it from the ground that waited was a well placed hand around its tiny little head. The cat started to fight, trying to get away but it was no use. I was doing this for it’s own good. The cries of the kitten grew louder and louder echoing through the old room. I had had enough.

“Farewell little Kitty,” I whispered.

“Wait,” a voice screamed from behind me. I turned and saw Spot walking out from behind a group of boxes. He was shirtless, his beautiful tan skin exposed to the cold filling the room. I gave him a quick once over and saw the bruises that covered his chest. I smiled; remembering how he had received each of those marks. He could be a disobedient dog sometimes. He walked further into the room and I noticed the torn and bloody jeans that covered his lower body. There was an air of arrogance that surrounded him. Even in a situation like ours he still managed to keep his pride. I had tried repeatedly to beat it out of him but it never worked. I returned my hand and the cat to the room my fingers still grasped tightly around the neck of the cat. “I’m here now, so you can let the cat go.”

“Why should I,” I asked. “Why should I listen to anything you say?”

“I’ll go back. I won’t run again I promise. Just don’t hurt the cat, he’s my friend.” I looked at the disgusting little ball of fur in my hands and threw it at him. The yowled as went across the room and into the waiting hands of spot. The cat leaped out of his hand and scurried out of the room. Spot approached me. This close I could see the black studded collar that wrapped his neck.

“Will you really come back,” I asked.

“Yes,” he replied. When he reached me stood behind me wrapping his arms around me. “I’m sorry. I…I shouldn’t have ran. Forgive me.” I turned in his arms and looked up at him. Spot towered over like he didn’t whenever he stood close to me. I looked up into his hazel eyes and touched the collar. I ran my fingers along the edge of the leather and wrapped my fingers around it, pulling Spot to me.

“The next time you leave me, I won’t be this nice about it,” I said, bringing my knee up between his legs. Spot fell to the floor in pain. He looked up from me from his current position. This was much better, this was how a dog was suppose to be; on all fours looking up at their master. I laughed and turned from the sight before me. “Come along Spot, we need to get back before the storm gets really bad.”

I continued to walk out of the room and down the spiraling steps. I didn’t need to turn around to see if he was following. I could hear his thundering footsteps following me down the stairs, out of the old factory, and back to the life that awaited him.