Lesson Five: Love -Orrick

Three Rules To Remember

1. Love is the most important emotion.

2. There can be no love without a little pain.

3. Do what must be done in order to gain your master’s love.

*************************

Flashback

The meowing was getting louder as I walked closer to the box. The brown cardboard was being soaked by the steady downpour. A small boy peeks in as a sudden wash of water threatened to knock over the box. A pair of green eyes looks up at me. The incessant cries of the kitten begins to grow. It hurts me to hear the sadness in the little creatures voice. With shaky hands I picked up the gray and white kitten. He’s soaked to the bone, looking more like a skinned rat then the fluffy kitten I knew he was.

I shoved him within the confines of my coat. He snuggled up against me and started to purr. As the deep purr vibrated against me, I began to panic. Thoughts of my father’s reaction echoed through my brain. He’ll be angry, I’m sure of it. Is it worth it, I began to think. To me, it was. I’ve always wanted a kitten. They’re gentle and loving. I had always wanted something that would love me. I saw this as fate, I was meant to come pass this street and find the cat. I shook my head. My action was justified now. I hugged the kitty to me and began racing to my house. I would need to get him warm fast. Rain beat down on my head as I dodged cars and people to make it to my house.

The large building loomed above me. The doorman watched me with critical eyes when I entered. I smiled and sent in a wave. He nodded in return, his eyes never leaving me.

“Is my father home,” I asked.

“Why,” is the answer he gave me in response.

“Just wondered.” I kept a gaping space between the doorman and myself. He would tell my father about the kitten if he found out. Some people would do anything for money. He was no different. I ignored the look he gave me and went to wait for the elevator. Twenty four floors up before the elevator stopped. My gaze traveled to the right and left before I stepped out of the elevator. The carpet hushed my steps as I made my way to the door. I pulled out the electronic key and opened the door. Four steps in, a quick look. Ten steps in and a voice yelled for me to present myself. I hesitated for half a minute, debating on what to do.

“Orrick, I won’t tell you to come again.” The tone of my father’s voice demanded that I come now. I’m infuriated; the doorman lied to me. That bastard, I thought. My father sits behind a black oak desk with a glass top. His beady eyes stared into my soul. “Orrick.” He shook his head after his lips released my name. “Frank the doorman just told me you’re hiding something in your coat.”

I tried to show no reaction. I straightened up and looked directly at my father. “I’m not hiding anything,” I told him.

 “Open the coat.” Disappointment is in the words. I stared at the wall, feigning ignorance. “Orrick, now,” he screamed. My body trembled as I fumbled to open the coat. The kitten meows at the movement. My father eyes widened. “You lied to me,” his voice is low. A man stands to his feet and walked around his desk. He approached me with anger clear on his face.