Departure

"Are you all right?" she asked her friend. Rangiku turned, and her eyes showed that she had been lost in thought. Her face broke into a smile, but it did not touch her eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine." She responded. Momo gave her friend a hug.

"Thank you for comforting me. I know that Toshiro will be fine, and that you will be able to do what he wants you to." Momo couldn't see Rangiku's face, but she felt her shoulders sag a little.

"Watch over him for me will you?"

Momo pulled back and nodded allowing Rangiku to see the determined confidence in her face. Rangiku offered another sad smile before returning to her duty. Momo stayed with her until she passed through the Senkaimon into the Soul Society. True to his word in two days Momo found Toshiro in his room preparing to leave.

"Are you sure you're ready to go back?" Momo asked.

"It does not matter whether or not I am ready. My squad needs me and it is my duty to be there for them, to lead them." Momo knew that what Toshiro said was true, it was his duty as a captain and he would sooner forget his men as he would eat nails. Toshiro would never fail his duty unless circumstances demanded it and he had no other choice. Momo knew, if the bounts had not invaded the Soul Society that Toshiro would have allowed himself a few more days to fully recover, but with his men potentially in harm's way, he could not do that.