Journey for the Gem- Chapter 12

^_^ RUBY'S THOUGHTS

Six hours later Ruby sat with a half-eaten burrito in her lap and Jade's head lying with it. Jade's foot lay in Jasper's lap, with Opal's body stretched out beside them. Ruby had to admit that they probably looked like a city bus family in the suburbs. The only thing that ruined it was... "We're in a small, cramped, shoe box of a car barely halfway to Hollywood, and did I mention, we're in a matchbox!" Ruby said the last thing out loud. "Hey, Cruiser's the best driver with the... cheapest car in town. He offered to drive for free if he can go on a date with you, Jade. Do you accept it?" Jasper looked slightly strained. Jade had dark circles under her eyes as she shook her head. This trip was putting more stress on everyone than Ruby thought. It had taken about five hours so far

Suddenly the brakes on the matchbox squealed. Everything went flying as a telephone pole crashed through the window and glass shattered. Horns honked and tires squealed. Jade screamed and ducked as the telephone pole impaled a large hole inches away from her head. Ruby felt a sharp prick in her arm and realized that it was broken glass that had smashed everywhere. Sirens began to blare.

Nobody had major injuries. That was the relief. The dark side was that the cops and ambulance people had to "check them out". As they all piled out of the now-broken car, a tight-faced woman put a hand out that Ruby ran right into. "You need to get looked over to see if you have any treatable injuries, though I don't think dumbness can be treated," the woman smirked humorlessly. Opal stifled a scream next to Ruby. "Mom?"

***OPAL'S THOUGHTS

Opal felt like a cricket being chased by a lizard, trapped cowering in the very corner. The last words she had heard from her mother were pretty ugly as she was running away after that freaky message from Onyx.

Her mother, as usual, was dressed in colorless, nondescript blouse, a black pencil skirt, and a shapeless black coat. She hadn't changed the way she put her makeup on, either. Too much lipstick and mascara coated her face, with the usual tight bun.

"Yes, hello, Miss Nut," said Uptight Anne. Ruby motioned the other way out to Jade, and they started to sprint. Opal screamed as Anne pulled out a shotgun and fired it quick as lightning toward Ruby and Jade, obviously expecting the move.

"Look out!" called Opal worriedly. The bullet hit Ruby first in the leg and she fell unconscious. Jade screamed as another bullet was fired. It hit her straight to the chest and she fell also.

Anne turned on her daughter and Jasper, who were cowering on their spot.

She wouldn't shoot her own daughter, she wouldn't shoot her own daughter, Opal thought and hoped frantically.

Jasper went down with a click to the trigger. Anne turned the gun on her daughter and her well-manicured finger pulled the trigger. The shot went into her shoulder. Opal felt breathtaking pain as everything faded to dreary black.

^_^ RUBY'S THOUGHTS

Ruby was first to awaken, probably because she was first to be shot. It was dark as a night rabbit hole and hot.

Jade's head lolled onto Ruby's shoulder, and her leg burned like fire. No wonder Jade was hobbling so much after her fall off that roof; pain in your leg hurt like fire ants.

Ruby flexed her leg as best she could and it felt relief.

Jasper sat up suddenly. He moaned and mumbled "my head" before seeing Ruby. Her head hurt too; that's what a tranquilizer gun did to you.

"Are Jade and Opal awake yet?" he asked. "I am," said Opal, rubbing her shoulder. Jade's foot came out and hit Ruby hard in the head as she rose the same time as Jade. It was probably in her sleep, but Ruby still got mad at her. "Arg!" Ruby yelled and punched Jade's chest without thinking about it. Jade grunted and sat up drowsily, rubbing her chest.

Silence filled the room.

"Well, that was a great plan," Jade said grumpily. Ruby noted that even though Jade hadn't done any makeup or even brushed her hair, what she could see was impeccable. "Now how are we going to get to Las Vegas?" whined Ruby, trying to sit up to no avail.

Then she realized that she was strapped down to the "medical" stretcher. "Hey!" she said. "Why are we strapped down? We're sinking!" Jade began to struggle against the ropes also. Opal turned pale. "Guys!" she said. "Look out!"

{A/N: another cliffy, they're so much fun! Anyways, please comment, vote, like, and fan. It'll only take a few minutes on your part and make be super happy. Please recommend me if you liked it! I really need some more votes and comments, if you could. Constructive critism is very much appreciated. Thanks for reading! Love, ridingrl. ;) }