Chapter 7

"This attack could mean anything. It could have come from anywhere," the queen reasoned.

"It's possible, but Codey is right there was something off about those men. I took a closer look at them after the captain sent him back to his post. Everything he pointed out was true. If those men didn't come from Velash where did they come from and who sent them?"

"Who have you offened?" she asked him with a small smirk.

"This is no joke, Amaris! They could have killed Skylette! If Edwin hadn't been with her, she very well could have died!"

She clucked her tongue at him. "Sky held her own, although I will agree it was definitely good that Edwin was with her."

He grunted. "I am infinitely glad she's settled a bit and chosen a beau."

His wife began laughing loudly.

"What exactly is funny?" He propped his hands on his hips.

"She doesn't have any feelings for Edwin!"

"How can you possibly say that? They've been corresponding since her birthday ball! He arrived a week early for this ball and they've spent a great deal of time together!"

"Do you remember how it was when we met?"

His cheeks turned slightly pink. "Yes of course."

"We spent much of our time trying to avoid our parents and our respective guards and chaperones. Attempting to find dark corners to hide in and steal kisses. Sky and Edwin do none of that when they're together. They walk out in the open and spend time in the library reading together. They act nothing like lovers."

"They don't know one another well enough yet!" he insisted.

She tipped her head to the side and raised an eyebrow at him. "How long was it before we knew one another well enough to hide in those corners? Do remind me dear."

He stomped away from her. "She needs to begin acting as a queen does!"

"She never expected to be Queen. For eighteen years of her life, Darrien was going to rule, not her. You grew up knowing you would rule, you were the eldest of your brothers. You need to give her some slack darling. Give her time to get used to the idea that she is now going to be the queen."

"If I give her enough slack she'll hang us all with it," he muttered.

As she was about to answer him, the door flew open and Skylette stomped into the room. Her gaze fixed on her father. Her arm came up and she stabbed a finger at him. "You! What did you do?"

He scowled at her. "You're going to blame this incident on me?"

She shook her head. "The attack, no. What did you do to Codey?"

"Codey? What in blazes are you talking about girl?"

"I saw him, Daddy! I saw him in the garden in that damn uniform! He's been here the entire time! You knew it ... you had to know it! He never would have chosen to leave his position in the stables on his own! What. Did. You. Do," she carefully enunciated the last few words.

"Why do you think I did something?"

She let loose a loud stilted laugh. "You knew after you told me to keep away from him I'd never listen. He's my best friend, why would I comply. Your only other choice was to go to Codey and threaten him somehow. I'm surprised you didn't simply toss him out of the castle into the streets!"

"You listen to me young lady—"

"No, you listen to me! I'm not some puppet you can stand before an audience of your choice and pose, feed lines to and make me do what you want! I'm a person! I have a mind of my own and I intend to use it! Leave me alone and let me live my life the way I want to!" She turned and stormed from the room.