Chapter 16

Campbell studied his guests while they took their seats at the dining table. The princess looked exceptional this evening. It was his fortune she chose to stop here of all places while taking Prince Edwin and his bride on a tour of the countryside.

It meant he needn't travel as far to get what he wanted.

His problem was the prince and his bride. He may be able to make his idiot brother disappear without anyone being the wiser, but Edwin was the crown prince, his father would notice if he went missing. Once that happened, he would stop at nothing to find his son.

He took his seat at the head of the table and smiled pleasantly at everyone. "I hope the accommodations were to your satisfaction."

Skylette turned a bright smile on him. "They're wonderful, thank you."

Edwin nodded agreement, while his bride studied the room as if trying to memorize the décor.

"I'm glad everything is to your satisfaction. I pray dinner will also meet your standards." He waved the servants forward and they began placing trays laden with food on the table. Once they finished, he turned to Skylette. "I was saddened when I heard of your brother's death. It must have been devastating."

Her hand paused in lifting her glass, she turned to him and he saw her smile was stiff. It was clear she wasn't happy with the topic he'd chosen. "Thank you. I miss him very much, it was a tragedy that never should have happened."

He wondered over the despair he saw in her eyes, it seemed to be more than simply sorrow over her brother's death. "I agree, he seemed a good man. Though, I never met him, I'm certain he would have made a fine king." She only nodded in response to his words.

Edwin cleared his throat and smiled, though his smile was tight and he looked uncomfortable. "I suppose a change of subject is in order, the mood has become quite dark."

Piper nodded agreement. "Indeed. Sky, can you tell us what other sights you plan on showing us?"

Sky sent them both a grateful smile. "I've got so much planned, I don't know where to begin! Just trust me, you'll enjoy every moment."

Piper's laughter was light. "I'm certain we will, it's been delightful so far."

Campbell tapped his fork against the edge of his plate in frustration. He wanted to talk about the princess, not her damn tour of the countryside. Still, showing too much interest might give them something to think on. Better to sit back and observe instead of pushing. He put on a happy face and listened while the prince's bride gushed about all she had seen thus far on the tour.

When she took a breath to continue he interrupted. "Where did the two of you meet?"

Piper turned scarlet and lowered her eyes to the table. Edwin covered her hand with his where it sat beside her plate. The prince looked at him as if daring him to say anything bad about his bride as he explained. "Piper worked for my father. She was a serving girl at the castle. All it took was one smile from her and I was caught. My father, of course, didn't approve, he banished her." He turned a smile on Piper, though her eyes were still downcast. "She met Sky and the rest is history. Skylette has helped her become a Baroness, given her land to go with it, though it's a small property and the title comes without a vast fortune, it matters little. The title means my father can have no objection to our marriage. After all, she is a titled lady now."

Piper peeked up at him from beneath her lashes and smiled broadly.

Campbell felt only the urge to puke at the tender story the prince spun out. He couldn't imagine marrying below his station. It was absurd. Why marry a serving girl who can bring nothing to the marriage other than her good looks and an empty title? He'd rather marry a wealthy woman who brings so much more into the union than a pretty face. "Lovely story," he commented without much enthusiasm.