Chapter 19

Skylette paced the confines of the larger sitting room. Campbell called her here, telling her he'd located Codey and his men had brought him here. Now here she was, pacing the room like a crazy woman in worry waiting to see him. What would he say, how would he act? There was no indication what sort of game the baron was playing. Why he was acting out this little charade of his.

She turned when the knob on the door rattled, smoothing a hand over her skirts. Today she'd worn a deep blue gown. Codey had always told her blue made her eyes shine. She wanted to look her best for him.

"Yes, in here. I'm certain she'll understand. No worries."

Understand, what was she to understand? The door opened and Campbell entered, he sent her a sad little smile before stepping out of the way to reveal Codey, with a petite woman beside him. Her hand rested in the crook of his arm and she was smiling up at him in the most adoring manner. Her knees decided in that moment they could no longer bear her weight, she sank slowly down onto the chair behind her, nearly missing the edge in her haste to sit.

When Codey's eyes met hers, she saw pain there. She didn't know the reason for it, but she could guess. Her eyes shifted to the woman at his side. Blond hair that shone brightly and blue eyes that were the color of the sky, she was small and fit beside him perfectly. Graceful, she was graceful. Moving as Sky knew she never could. She tripped over things and bumped into items all the time. Tears filled her eyes and she dropped them to her lap quickly to cover her heart's betrayal.

Codey cleared his throat. "It's lovely to see you again, Princess." He saw her flinch at the formal address and he wanted to snatch it back.

"Yes, you as well. I thought you dead when you left the castle."

Her words sounded strangled as if she were near tears. It was only the slight weight of Nia's hand on his arm that kept his feet firmly rooted to the spot. If she hadn't been at his side, he would have ignored every warning Campbell gave him before entering this room about approaching Lettie. He would have thrown caution to the wind, hauled her into his arms, and given her the comfort she needed. "I'm sorry you were left to believe that. I felt I no longer belonged there, so I returned here. I thought it was time I faced my past." He glanced down at Nia, smiling. "When I did, Nia and I reconnected. We sort of grew up together."

She laughed. "We didn't get to grow up together, silly. You were gone." She reached up and placed her and against his cheek.

"Yes, I suppose I was." He looked back at Lettie with a sigh. "Anyway, once we got to talking and things, well we realized we sort of, had feelings for one another. I decided to stay so we could explore those feelings. I fell in love and decided this is where I belong. I suppose I should have sent word but I got caught up and I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry."

Sky rose, nodding curtly. "Yes, well I suppose I could understand that. Whirlwind romance and all. I'm happy you're all right." She smiled stiffly at Nia. "I wish you all the happiness in the world. He's a good man."

"Thank you, Princess." When she attempted a curtsy, Sky waved her off.

"If you'll excuse me, I have some things I need to attend to." She nodded to them both, turned a smile on Campbell and left the room. Back ramrod straight.

Campbell shut the door behind her and turned a smiled on them both. "Excellent job. Why even I believed the two of you for a moment there."

Codey's fingers curled into fists. "Are we done now?"

"Oh, yes, very much so." He looked at Antonia. "I believe I promised you your freedom, did I not?"

She swallowed and nodded. "Yes, sir."

He stepped back and waved a hand toward the door. "You are free to go. Thank you for your service to your baron." As she rushed past him, he grabbed her arm, halting her. "If you are caught again, there will be no free pass."

She bobbed her head in acknowledgment of his words and he released her. She paused at the door, looking back at Codey, before she darted through it.

Campbell grinned at him. "Very nice. You did well. Performed nicely and saved your little peasant girl."

"To what end?"

"To my end. It doesn't matter to you. You'll be dead by the time my plans are all in place." Two guards entered the room, standing near the door as if awaiting his orders. He smiled at Codey. "Take him back to his cell."

***

Sky hurried back to her room, threw the door open and halted when she spotted Arthur standing in the center of the room. "Why are you here?"

He waved the piece of paper he was holding at her. "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"It wasn't any of your business. Get out of my room."

He scowled at her. "Campbell is playing games with you. You do realize that? What did he say today? That he found Codey but he's dead and buried somewhere? Tell me!"

The tears she'd been holding in slipped free. "No, he's alive. Alive and free."

"What are you babbling about?"

"He's here somewhere in the village, free as can be. With the woman he loves."

He stood and stared at her in shock before shaking his head. "Codey left here when he was a child, there can't be anyone here he loves. Campbell is lying to you. Can't you see that?"

"If he had simply told me that, I'd agree with you. I saw them together, Arthur. I spoke with Codey. He's happy and in love. They both are. I'm packing and I'm leaving. I need to get home."

"No. This is some kind of trick. It must be. Campbell probably threatened them." He grabbed her arms and gave her a shake. "Skylette! Dammit, listen to me! He loves you, there is no one else! This is some trick of Campbell's!"

"Release me, now. You may believe because you are a prince I will give you leeway, Arthur, but I will still have you thrown in a dungeon for handling me this way."

He released her, stepping back. "Fine, desert him when he needs you the most. I'll remain behind. I need to do what I can to save the only man who has been a decent friend to me." He stopped at the door. "Codey would never willingly hurt you. Ever."

"I'm sorry, but I saw what I saw. I know you want to have faith in him, but you didn't see them together, I did. If this is some game of Campbell's the to what end? I see no purpose."

He sighed and shook his head. "He's taking everything from Codey. You were probably just another thing he cared about to steal away."

"Codey isn't that stupid. You and I both know that. He wouldn't play along with so cruel a game. I'm sorry, but the most obvious answer must be the correct one. I'm going home. You can remain if you wish, but there is nothing left here for me."

"If that's what you wish, then go. Make certain you take Edwin and Piper with you. There would be no reason for them to remain if you left." He shut the door firmly behind him.

The door blurred as her tears gathered and fell. She'd lost him completely. Codey was no longer anything to her. A sob broke free and she sank to the floor, her gown a puff of fabric around her. She'd worn it for him. She'd worn it for nothing. Nothing at all. She sobbed harder. Her heart shattering.