Chapter 10

"I'm not certain this is a good idea. I think it might be a better idea to turn tail and head back home to the castle," Arthur muttered beneath his breath as they approached the baron's home.

"We have no choice; we need to find out what's going on. Something isn't right here."

Arthur grunted in response to Codey's remarks. He didn't like the baron anymore than Codey did, but he wasn't about to admit it out loud. After all, Codey still wouldn't admit to him he was hiding something.

Together, they mounted the steps to the castle and entered the building. Time to sup with the baron, something neither of them was looking forward to in the least. But for very different reasons.

"Gentlemen, good evening! I'm so glad you could join me for dinner this evening!"

"Baron Kingsley, thank you for having us," Arthur replied politely.

The baron waved a hand around in the air. "Please, let's dispense with the titles, shall we? Call me Campbell." He beamed at them, his false smile seemingly ever present.

"Well then, Camp, shall we eat?" Arthur asked.

Campbell chuckled and slapped him on the shoulder. "Indeed, after you." He held his arm out in front of him indicating which way they should go.

Codey waited and followed. He knew exactly which way to go, but leading the way would give away that he knew his way around. He knew that would not be a good idea. He sat on the baron's left; Arthur sat to Campbell's right.

"Are the two of you enjoying your stay in our fair town?" he asked as he took his place at the head of the table.

"Yes, very much." Arthur answered for the both of them.

Campbell lifted a small bell and gave it little shake. It rang out and servants entered through a side door carrying covered trays. He rubbed his hands together as they placed the trays along the table and removed the covers.

"You're in for a treat my friends!"

Codey looked from one tray to the next, overwhelmed by the array of foods. "It's a bit much don't you think?"

"Ha, come now enjoy it!" Campbell told him with a loud laugh as he picked up a leg of lamb a tore a chunk off with his teeth.

Codey sat back and stared as the baron chewed. Despite the delicious smells wafting from the numerous trays, he couldn't bring himself to reach for anything. The thought that this child was in charge, was the one giving the orders here, turned his stomach.

He arched a brow when Arthur began filling his plate. His friend shrugged when he saw him watching. With a sigh, Codey began doing the same. He supposed the baron would begin questioning him if he didn't eat something.

Arthur took a large bite of roast pork and grinned at the baron. "So, tell us more about Kingsley."

Campbell shrugged. "There's not much to tell. As I told you yesterday, I've been here since I was five. There certainly isn't much more I can tell you."

Codey pointed his fork at the baron. "You said your mother was involved with the former baron, correct?"

He nodded and stuffed a large piece of bread slathered with butter into his mouth before speaking. "Correct."

"Does she ever speak about their affair?" he asked as casually as possible.

"I'm afraid after he was killed it affected her mind, as the years have passed she has gotten worse. She is no longer aware of the passing of time. Most days she is totally unaware of what year it is. It is a tragedy to be sure." He affected a saddened looked, but his eyes told a different story. They were blank and cold. Unfeeling.