Chapter 11

Arthur and Codey sat in the dining room of the inn, a piece of parchment in front of Codey as he wrote out a report to their captain. Arthur's brows drew together and he looked up from the parchment to his friend. "We're going to need to find someone we can trust to hand deliver this to him. Someone who isn't going to report to the baron first about what's in that message."

Codey nodded absently as he continued to write.

Arthur leaned back in his chair and flagged Piper down as she passed on her way back to the kitchen. She smiled and stopped near the table. "Would you like something to eat or drink?"

He shook his head. "I have a favor to ask of you. Do you know someone trust worthy who can deliver a message for us to the castle, someone who won't report to the baron?"

Her face scrunched. "Who at the castle would the message go to if not the baron and why wouldn't you take it yourself?"

Arthur chuckled at her misunderstanding of his question. "Wrong castle, the king's castle. The message needs to go to the captain of the castle guard."

Her confusion cleared. "Oh, yes of course. I know exactly who could do it, let me fetch him!" She hurried away.

Arthur chuckled and folded his arms on the table. He genuinely liked Piper. She was sweet and after her initial reluctance to address him by his first name, she had relaxed. He was still certain she was running from something back up North, but it wasn't his business.

Codey pushed the paper across the table to him and he scanned it, reading what he had written. With a nod, he handed it back. "I think you explained things quite well. Do you believe he'll tell the king?"

Codey grumbled beneath his breath. "I don't know. He had better, because they're all in danger. If Campbell is truly out for revenge then it's possible he is the one responsible for the attack on Skylette in the garden."

Arthur gave a shake of his head. "If it hadn't been for Prince Edwin holding them off until we arrived she would have been dead." A tiny gasp drew his attention and he glanced up to find Piper standing close by, a boy at her side. He arched a brow at her. "Is this our messenger?"

"Oh, yes. This is James. He works in the stables and he'll carry the message wherever you wish it to go. I swear he'll never speak a word to the baron." She fidgeted, twisting her apron in her hands as she spoke.

Arthur grinned at the boy. "Thank you, James. We'll be ready in a moment. Why don't you ready your horse?"

"Yes sir!" The boy turned and dashed from the room.

Codey shoved his chair back and picked the parchment. "I'm going to seal this, back in a moment."

Arthur leaned back in his chair and eyed Piper who was still twisting her apron. She dropped a quick curtsey and spun around to leave, stopped and spun back to face him. "Do you know the princess?"

He dipped his head in her direction. "Yes."

She turned again and then turned back. "And Prince Edwin?" Her tone seemed almost hopeful.

His brows rose. "I've met him only once. He seems to be a good man. "Why?"

She shrugged and turned away as she answered. "I heard the princess was to marry him. I wanted to know if you thought they suited one another."

Arthur's brows drew together. "Prince Edwin is from the North. Wouldn't happen to be from your kingdom, would he?"

"I have work to do." She hurried off before he could question her further. Her refusal to answer seemed to be answer enough.