Chapter 20

Things seemed to have gone from worse to as bad as they could get. Skylette attempted to leave the following morning after she'd seen Codey. Arthur rubbed a hand over his face. Campbell had cooed and patted her hand, attempting to sound sympathetic. A snort escaped him as he remembered the scene at the breakfast table when she announced her imminent departure. It had taken everything he had to remain hidden and not leap out to strangle the Baron. Keeping himself hidden was important, but in that moment it didn't seem to matter much.

"We will be taking our leave this afternoon. I think it's time we continued Edwin and Piper's tour of the countryside," Sky told Campbell.

The Baron's lips pursed as if he'd just sucked a lemon. "Really, my dear, are you certain that's such a good idea? Look at you, you look as if you haven't gotten any sleep at all! I mean, really, after the shock you've just received ..." he trailed away, waving a hand airily around before sighing deeply. "I think the Prince and Princess would agree with me your health is much more important than any wedding tour." His gaze went to Edwin and Piper as if awaiting their almost certain agreement.

What could they do after his little speech? To disagree would make them out to be uncaring of Skylette's welfare. They both nodded, their smiles stiff and slightly disapproving of his tactics.

"You see, now, you'll stay and rest up before you start getting any silly notions of riding off. You're safe here. I swear it. If the Prince and Princess wish to continue without you I'll see to it they have guides to take them around and show them the sights."

Edwin nodded though it was stiff. "That's very nice of you, Baron, but we'll remain to be certain Sky is all right. After all, she has received quite an upset."

Campbell clapped his hands in delight. "It's settled then, you'll remain."

From the looks on the faces of his guests, it wasn't remotely settled, but he didn't seem to notice as he picked up his fork and dug into his food. He smacked his lips in delight as he ate.

Skylette stared down at her plate for several quiet minutes before excusing herself without eating a single bite.

Arthur groaned and downed half his tankard of ale. It was a complete disaster. Codey was still locked somewhere in that blasted dungeon and he had no clue how to get to him. He was certain he was still down there. There wasn't any doubt in his mind he was there. He didn't believe the Baron for a second when he sighed, shook his head sadly and told Skylette Codey and his lady love had left Kingsley.

Then there was the worry he would be discovered slinking about the Baron's residence any day now and tossed down there beside his friend, he was walking one hell of a fine line pretending to be one of Campbell's men.

He waved to the serving woman who had replaced Piper. She wasn't as pretty, but she was sweet and eager to please. "Yes, sir?"

"More ale, please." He waved the empty tankard at her.

"Yes, of course." She hurried off to refill his cup.

"You look as if you're in need of a friend."

Arthur glanced up with a frown. "Probably not a good idea, my friends tend to end up in bad places. You should move along," he told the man standing beside his table.

The man chuckled as he took a seat. "That sounds as if it's a good story." He glanced around the room with a frown. "Where's the other lad?"

Arthur's hand went from the table to rest on his sword. "I beg your pardon?"