Episode Seven: The End of Quarantine ch. 9

"So we are processing the discharge orders for Chief Petty Officer Cheyenne Walker, Culinary specialist Gregory Martens, and Ensign Mark Cummings," Lannister's superior was saying through the holodisplay. Martens had opted to take the medical discharge and start his life anew. Walker and Cummings would have finished their enlistment at the end of this mission anyway.

Lannister watched how the man's form glowed around the edges. They were in a small office he'd been given for these conference. There was a pause. "Umm, yes, sir, that is correct," Lannister replied, trying to bring his attention to the present.

"And we've extended medical leave for the following..."

Lannister fought to pay attention as they ran through the short list of soldiers who still needed attention from the consortium healers. Lannister's own name and Master of Arms James Fox were top on that list.

"The rest of the crew should be able to be processed normally when their leave is up," his superior was saying. "They will have new assignments waiting when they return."

"Yes, sir," Lannister said. Two new forms appeared at the edge of the holo projection and sat next his superior. One was Admiral Leftwig, a two star rear admiral. The other was his state department go between. Lannister sat up straighter and snapped a salute. "Admiral."

"Captain Lannister," the admiral replied.

"We're wondering if you've thought about your career with the navy?" his superior asked.

Lannister swallowed hard. He had, a lot. Unfortunately it hinged on two things that he didn't dare ask openly, especially not through a holographic communication controlled by the consortium. Would he still be given top secret clearance? Would he ever command a ship again? He wasn't sure he wanted a desk job. Not after being in command for so long. It was what he lived for.

"Sir," he started hesitantly. "I've been giving it some thought. But I'm not quite sure..."

"Your wondering if you will command a ship again," the Admiral guessed.

"Yes, sir," Lannister admitted.

"It's not likely that we will be commissioning new warships anytime soon," the admiral said. "But it just so happens that we do have one new vessel in America's fleet and you have some unique qualifications for the job."

Lannister looked at them, his face blank. "I'm not following."

"Shoshone station," was the reply. "It will be jointly controlled. We are putting together our team as we speak. But we really need someone familiar with working alongside the consortium, someone with some understanding of the kinds of technical and cultural differences we might face. Can we count on you?"

"It's a desk job," his superior said. "I know you hate the thought. But think about it, it's a desk job among the stars. And it's quite the honor."

"That it is," Lannister said. "I'll think about it. Wait, no, I won't think about it. I'll just say yes, right now."

"Excellent, state department has a couple of guys up on the base ship now. We'll send one around with the details."

######

Cheyenne stood in the center of the hotel room, looking at the viewscreen on the wall. Zeta sat at the table and watched on. Lana had gone shopping for lunch and Janda had taken the day off to see his new girlfriend.

"The State Department is sending someone," Cheyenne was saying into the view screen. On screen was her mother's face, on Skype.

"You know I hate flying," mom said.