Episode Three: Spiders and Clackers Ch. 9

"The DOW fell another eight hundred points today, amidst heavily speculation," the newscaster said.

"Hush," Dan said to his bunkmates, trying to listen. It was an Earthside newscast on the view screen. Breakfast was a box of a dry granola-like snack and an anti-nausea can. His stomach had been feeling better, but today he didn't want to risk being sick. The others seemed to have taken the same hint and were helping themselves to similar fare.

The news was dire. "Third straight day and no end in sight," the newscaster was saying. "There are growing concerns that the economy is in a free fall."

"What's up with the economy?" Kleppie wondered as he slid into a seat next to Dan.

As if in answer, the newscaster said, "We asked a senior economic analyst at Brown University."

"This unprecedented situation was brought about by two traditionally stable sectors of our economy in an extreme state of flux. First the military complex is facing an uncertain future," the analyst said.

"But surely," the newscaster protested, "after our losses in Syria—"

"At the same time," the analyst interrupted, "can we afford to replace equipment that we know for a fact is hopelessly outclassed? The Consortium can, and did, sabotage our ships and planes from spaceships in low orbit. They've done the same to China. The whole nature of warfare changed in a heartbeat. Until we've adjusted, I don't see Congress approving any big ticket items."

"So, no new Cambridge then," Madsen muttered.

"Maybe the Consortium will name a spaceship after her," Kleppie suggested.

"God, I hope not," Madsen growled.

"It'd be cool," Kleppie insisted. "Train us all for space, first joint mission."

"Shhh," Dan said.

"What's going on in the energy sector?" the newscaster was asking.

"A lot of speculation, that's what. Ever since the Princess Sarasvat announced her intention to attend the G-20 Summit in Brazil, coming up later this month . . ."

"Perhaps we should say the G-21 now," the newscaster prompted.

"Perhaps," the analyst agreed. "There are hints that there will be a major announcement from the Consortium at the summit."

"Just to give readers some background, the G-20, or G-21 if you will, summit is to discuss environmental and energy policies of most of the world powers," the newscaster said.

"Indeed, and the princess has indicated in a number of interviews that she considers the state of Earth's environment to be her top priority, especially what she calls the 'shared resources' of the planet, notably the oceans. And she's made numerous comments about our over reliance on fossil fuels and need to modernize our energy economy."

"How does this affect the energy sector today?" the newscaster asked.

"That is anyone's guess. One major speculation is that she will ask for a moratorium on off-shore drilling."

"Will the G-20 act on such a thing?" the newscaster asked. "She's said repeatedly that they, the Consortium, are not here to conquer us or dictate how we live."

"And yet they have intervened, three times now."

"True, but those were human rights issues, not environmental. Surely there's a difference."

"Possibly, still there are three ways things can go down, and all three represent some major shake-up for the energy sector. The Consortium has the ability to make a unilateral ban on offshore drilling, enforced air regulations, you name it. Whether that will occur or not, they have the ability. And that makes investors nervous. Second, there are many groups, from environmentalist to developing countries, who see the Consortium as potential game changer. It's possible the princess could create a new alliance, give the summit's recommendations real teeth."

"We have just a minute before we need to go to break, so very quickly, what is the third possibility?"

"She could offer us technological assistance."

"That would be good, would it not?"

"For the world, yes, it would. But for those companies heavily invested in coal, oil, or natural gas? Let's just say this is the primary fear keeping investors from sinking money in these companies right now."

The news went to commercial.

"Baah," Jensen groused from across the table, "news. You want to see something really exciting? Look at that." He pointed out the porthole window in the lounge.

"What?" Dan asked.

"You see how the sunlight flashes off that tiny little dot there? That's our cargo pod."

By the time they had finished breakfast, the cargo pod had flashed across the porthole view one more time, much closer and then slid into dock somewhere above them. They had barely reached their quarters when they saw Bakala pushing a wheeled cart down the hallway with packages in brown wrapping paper.

They each had a large, soft package in addition to whatever they had ordered. Kleppie's package was topped with a slate and an amber data cube. "It's not," he muttered to Madsen, who was giving him an arched look. He took his pile to his bunk with no further explanation.

Jensen's had a small wooden box on top, containing the necklace gemstone he'd ordered for his wife. Madsen's had a blank paper book and a small set of oil crayons. "I know, it's silly," he said. "But we got to do something for the next five weeks, captain said. And I was pretty good at art in high school."

"You all chose better than I did," Dan admitted. His package was topped with a small box of chocolates, and there were two paper-wrapped packages. One, he assumed was the shirt he'd ordered. He sat the chocolates aside and unwrapped the first package. It was the silk shirt with flame batik that he'd ordered. Underneath was another outfit.

"This is pretty cool," Kleppie said, holding up a shirt.

"Not like ours, though," Madsen groused.

It was a naval dress uniform, sort of. It was a simple button-down shirt and pants combination. The white shirts had their unit and rank insignia batiked on them.

"So I guess we all know what to wear to the press conference, right?" Dan said.

"Yes, sir," Jensen said. As they dressed, he added, "It's a decent compromise, you have to admit that. They couldn't expect or let the Consortium make new uniforms, not our uniforms. But these at least let people know who we are."