Episode Eight: Escape to Shin, ch.6

Jack was coming back from lunch with Zeta when his personal cell rang. He answered.

"It's Barry," Barry said on the other end. "I'm in Norfolk."

"Yeah, and?"

"Got more bad news."

"Crap. What?"

"I don't think we're going to be able to keep this out of the press."

"Why not?" He shared a look with Zeta. He had appraised her of the latest developments in the Cheyenne case.

"Because the press is at the bottom of this. The lawyer, Abernathy, you know who he is?"

"No, but his website looks pretty good. I can't for the life of me figure out how someone with James's history got together enough money for that caliber of lawyer anyway."

"I've a guess. Cheryl Abernathy."

"And should I know that name?"

"Yes, you should," Barry scolded him. "She's lead producer on Hard Line."

"The conservative news show?"

"Yup, and she's also this lawyer's sister."

"Oh crap, we're being set up, aren't we?"

"You betchya," Barry said. "I'll bet anything Cheryl fronted the retainer, and has exclusive rights to James's sob story."

"Fuck, what are we supposed to do now?" Jack asked. He and Zeta entered the office and found seats.

"If I understand your legal system," Zeta said. "We could file to have the jurisdiction moved, to where the kids are."

"Not a bad thought," Jack said. "There is legal precedence." He shook his head. "No. I mean, if we have to. It will probably get Cheyenne off the hook. But the political backlash here, the news will have a heyday if we accept Consortium jurisdiction."

Zeta made a noise of frustration. "Your politics. We are only trying to do what's best for the kids. Not take over."

"I know, I know," Jack said. "But the guys at Hard Line and elsewhere, they'd love to spin the story that way."

"Let me keep digging and thinking," Barry said.

Jack shut off the phone and stood. He looked down on the earth below. "God, I could use some good news right now."

"Well, I don't know if this good or not, but it's news," Zeta began. "The diplomatic core has decided that personal rapport is important on this mission, and the counter parts should be the same as much as possible, so... I'm supposed to join the Shoshone team, for our side. I've most of my things being shipped from the base ship. I was going to look at apartments this afternoon."

"That is great news, Zeta," Jack said. "Great news. I look forward to working alongside you."

She blushed and smiled at him. "Thank you, you are very kind."

Before he could say anything else, his work phone was buzzing. Blumenthal was furious, that much was apparent the second he answered. "So it seems I've been invited to be interviewed by Hard Line, to comment on an interstellar custody case."

"Umm, yes sir, Barry's in Norfolk right now..."

"I thought you guys were going to handle this thing," Blumenthal interrupted.

"Yes, we will. I promise. I need to come down and go to Washington for a couple days anyway, get my affairs in order before I move up here for good. I could..."