10. like a million more stars in the sky.

From the arcade we jumped from place to place, Blaze winning every time at everything, and me most of the time attempting, then failing and ending up laughing at myself. Although we didn’t exchange many words, the atmosphere between the two of us was lighter than it had ever been before and as time went on, it dissipated more and more until there was close to nothing left.

About that time was also when the fairy lights hung all around the festival, around trees, over stalls and booths and hanging down over the field, lit up, illuminating the whole place and giving it such an enchanting vibe. It was truly breathtakingly beautiful.

Most of the kids had left for home, leaving the place entirely to us teenagers and adults. It was a lot less crowded and the noise level had turned down, but only a little. I knew it was getting late now, so I made sure to guide us to the Ferris wheel because for what was going to happen, I wanted to make sure, I had the best view.

“Blaze,” I smiled, “The Ferris wheel is the only one we haven’t been on yet. Want to go?”

He looked down at me (he was almost a whole head taller than me after all) and cocked his brow. “The Soothsayer Palace?” Blaze asked.

I chuckled softly. “My mom wouldn’t mind if I didn’t turn up for her activity this year. I’ve been to it so many times, I even know what she’d say off by heart. So don’t worry about it – unless of course, you want to go...then...” I trailed off.

He shook his head no.

I didn’t take offence to him declining the offer to go to the Soothsayer Palace because I for one wasn’t planning on going over there either, and for two, was looking forward to the display later which I was planning to take some pictures of. I would hate to have to see it from down here where I was pretty sure it wouldn’t be as amazing to see, as it would be at the top of the Ferris wheel.

“Let’s go then!” I grinned.

Together we made our way towards the nonexistent queue of the Ferris wheel. This had been the first destination for most people so now nobody felt the need to ride this, but instead focused on the other booths they could try their might at winning something. It was perfect, this way, I could ask the teacher running this wheel to make sure to stop us at the highest point.

“Excuse me sir,” I said as politely as I could.

The old, groggy man I knew as my Geography teacher for the previous two years was who turned around. I inwardly groaned as I took in the moody expression he was sporting, clearly signalling that he was not happy. “What do you want?” Mr Geoffrey snarled, “Why haven’t you hooligan teenagers left yet?”

I winced. Oh, so he had already encountered the ‘teenage tornados’ and by the looks of it, got in their bad books? In that case, I was going to have to try extra hard to get this guy to do this for me, because if he was still the same as I remember him, he would take out the grudge he held against the crazy teens out on me. Until he had gotten out his anger on someone, his every answer was going to be ‘no’. Trust me, I am speaking from the experience of having him as a teacher two years in a row.

Sir, I feel sick, can I go to the bathroom? No.

Sir, my pen’s broken, can I borrow one? No.

Sir, I don’t understand this question, can you help me? No.

Sir, I am parched and feeling faint, can I drink some water? No.

Okay, so maybe the last one there was a bit extreme and maybe it has never happened, but I was just trying to create a picture here, and besides I reckon if that ever was asked and he was mad enough, he would probably still say no.