08 | Luke's Orbit

Big week - posting 3 chapters this week!  And it's honestly boosted by how you guys voted on the last chapter.  So here it is!  This one up 1 day later :)

Chapter 8: Luke's Orbit

We rolled into Camp after midnight. Luke's Jeep drove over leaf covered trails, taking us back to our little cabin by the lake. I was tired.

It felt strange returning here after so much had happened today and yet nothing really changed. I was still the clumsy nerd no-one cared about. And he was still the boy everyone chased after.

"So, that's it?" I asked.

We were parked right outside our cabin. I looked at him, all bruised and broken up. He looked so damn hot. What's new?

"You want round two?"

"The VIP treatment would have us coming back in stretchers," I said.

He laughed, "I never expected you to be such a wild card."

His blue eyes had flecks of silver in them that pierced through me, vivid against the dimly lit car. My heart did uncontrollable jumping jacks and it was my cue to leave. The way he was looking at me...

"You got me beat up today but I guess a milkshake nets it out to a neutral day," I said, "Oh and the sunset by the beach adds a-"

"Just a thank you is enough Millie.  You don't need to do any math."

"Right."

I bit my lip. I talk too much when I'm nervous. I bet all the other girls he hung out with were smooth talkers. Smooth and chill like him.

"I'll see you in the morning."

"You're not coming in?" I asked.

"I'm checking out a party first. You go ahead."

I nodded and got out of the car. I walked alone towards the front door and the car's flashlights reflected in the front window.  As I opened the door, I heard the car pull out of the drive way. 

 I couldn't believe it - today I actually hung out with Luke Dawson and Austin Taylor. Me. A day like today never happens to me.

While we were gone today, Luke had gotten someone to watch over our campers. As soon as I walked into the house, the girl barely acknowledged me except to shove a note in my face. It was addressed to Luke with a heart next to his name. I left it on the kitchen counter for him. She left.

I walked into my room and sat on the edge of the bed. I checked my phone for the first time today. 0 messages.

I texted my mum: Hi mum, I'm in camp and everything's good. How are you?

I texted Julia: How's it going, Julia? I have a crazy story to tell you about camp. Hope all's rosy.

And then I sat there. There was nobody else to message. No one messaged me back. I have a sister, but we don't have much of a relationship. I think the last time she texted me was three years ago... by accident.

It's tough when you try to be friendly, but no one reciprocates. I spend all year alone and all summer at this camp where everyone rejects me. Sometimes I feel like I missed out on the day that everyone chose their friends. Why are some people so closed off to being friendly? Does it hurt to be nice?

I looked back at the last message my ex-boyfriend sent me. He was the one person who made me believe that I wasn't a weird freak. Maybe I could be normal. Maybe someone could love me.

Until he broke my heart.

I made the right decision Millie. Kelly is a lot of things you never were. I couldn't help it. I know I cheated on you, but I left you a lot of clues to figure it out. You're so blind sometimes.

He made it seem like it was my fault. That was his text. The last one he ever sent me.  Time stamp was 1 month ago and I never replied.

He cheated on me and I was the last to find out. He called me stupid for not figuring it out earlier.

But I'm not stupid. I'm trusting. I love with all my heart and I believed in him. I didn't want to doubt him.

I learned my lesson.  Who could ever love me?

I changed into fluffy pajamas and crept into bed. I stared up at the ceiling, wishing something could take the pain of heartbreak away. I turned the lights off.

A few hours later, I was fast asleep when a certain Jeep wrangler pulled up to the cabin.

**

"No! I don't want to move! They made me do sport yesterday!"

I stared into the angry face of an 8-year-old. He was gripping onto the wooden side of his bunk-bed with all his might. This was too theatrical for 8.15 AM.

"Come on, Dupree. I'll let you take your iPad to breakfast if you get up," I bargained.

His scowl softened, "Can I keep my iPad with me all day?"

"OK." You're going to be some other counselor's problem during the day, so knock yourself out, kid.

A small hand tugged on my trousers. I looked down and found Alicia holding up a hairbrush for me. I knelt towards her and helped plait her hair into braids.

"Bus is here!" Malik pointed out the window, jumping up and down on his bed.  He was the very energetic one.

The kids screamed and started to run outside, yelling out breakfast foods. Dupree trotted out last, proudly clutching his iPad.

If only someone would care about me like Dupree cares about his iPad... JK. But not really.

They were gone.  I could finally breathe.

It was Day 3. The final day in the ultimatum Luke had given Mr Woodhouse. I remember it clearly. His deep voice as he demanded to change rooms, "I'll give you three days to fix this. Otherwise I'm out."

So, this was it. When I come back to the cabin later tonight, I would find another co-counselor in his place.

The end of my 72 hours experiencing the world in Luke's orbit.

It had been crazy living with Luke Dawson. Every day was a surprise; from the model eating my fruit loops in the morning to the gang of gamblers fighting with us outside the Surfside Shack. From the way he didn't respect my privacy while I was in the shower to how he knew exactly which of my buttons to press.

He was spontaneous, risky, dangerous. And hot.

Without him, my life had none of those things. 

Thank god. I guess drama is overrated.

But Luke Dawson is not.