46 | Wrong House

Chapter 46: Wrong House

Ding dong

The doorbell rang.

Millie's mother rested the TV remote on the green couch, closed her laptop and went to open the door. Both her daughters had keys, so she had no idea who was there.

"Hell- oh," her mouth dropped open. She stared. She stared as if her extensions were about to fall off.

A gorgeous boy – heart-racingly handsome- was standing at the entrance. He held her daughter in his arms.

Millie was lying in his arms bridal style. Her eyes were closed. Luke faced Mrs Ripley, who was feeling a strong desire to switch places with her daughter. This boy was delicious.

And she'd forgotten lunch.

He realized that Millie's mother was not about to speak any time soon. She was still staring at him like a life-sized doll, and it had already been a couple minutes. It was creepy.

So he said, "Do you mind if I come in? Your daughter isn't exactly light."

Wordlessly, Mrs Ripley stepped out of the way and watched the boy walk into her home. He held Millie carefully, resting his arm under her head protectively to avoid bumping into anything.

Mrs Ripley watched him from behind as he made his way to the living room. He seemed to know his way and the thought crossed her mind: He must have been here before.

What was he doing with her ugly daughter? Could it be that all this time they were laughing at Millie, she was telling the truth? Was she really friends with the hottest boy? How could that be? Why would he take an interest in her?

The questions swirled in Mrs Ripley's head, making her almost dizzy enough to collapse into Luke's arms. Luke rested Millie on the green couch and moved the remote from under her. Mrs Ripley leaned against him.

Ignoring her daughter passed out next to her, she purred, "May I ask you something?"

Surprised at the sudden proximity, Luke took a step back.

"No," he said.

He didn't like the way she was looking at him. She was literally wishing she was seventeen again.

"What are you doing with my daughter?" she asked, unconcerned by his reaction.

The doorbell rang.

Luke admitted, "I told Millie I want to be in her life. She ran away... and passed out."

Mrs Ripley's staring took on a whole new level of crazy. Her eyeballs bulged. He wanted to be with her daughter? And she said NO?! She always thought Millie had her head screwed on wrong.

The doorbell rang again.

"Are you going to get that?" Luke asked.

"No," Mrs Ripley answered, curling a strand of hair around her ear seductively, "Let it ring."

But the doorbell kept ringing and Luke made no attempt at continuing conversation, so she reluctantly went to answer. Luke sat on the couch next to Millie, resting his hand on her forehead to check her temperature. Mrs Ripley couldn't resist nosily watching him from outside the living room, but the doorbell rang again.

She opened it, and that's when her jaw really dropped.

In front of her was another strikingly gorgeous boy. A motorbike was parked in the driveway behind him and he held a black helmet with a red stripe under his arm.