Chapter 1

I looked around the room checking to make sure everything was just the way he liked it. Satisfied that it was up to his expectations I checked the time. Perfect. My Father was the Alpha of this pack and a ruthless one at that. Tonight, he was hosting an important dinner so he was especially on edge. I wasn't certain on who was coming but from all the commotion going on it had to be another Alpha. And a powerful one. No one told me anything though. I wasn't worth the wasted breath.

Pulling on my ragged, food-stained apron I turned to the stove top. I was ordered to prepare a giant meal for whoever was coming tonight. I thought about all the worrying the pack was doing over this meeting and wondered which of the Alphas would be attending it and why. There are two possibilities. Both were extremely powerful shifters and from what I heard, colder and more ruthless than my father.

Alpha Zachery and Alpha Colton were both rumored to be the most powerful Alphas we have had in a while. No one messed with their packs. My father's dream is to become more powerful and more famous than them. I was so stuck in my head thinking of who it could be that I hadn't heard someone enter the kitchen.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and my whole body tensed. I broke out into a cold sweat and immediately bowed my head as I turned to face him into a submissive position. I clasped my hands behind my back, already preparing myself.

"H-hello Alpha" I stuttered fear completely washing over me.

"You better have everything done and not have fucked anything up." My father sneered.

I hated my father. Long ago we were happy. Well, me and my mother were. My father loved my mother a lot, for she was his mate. But with me he had wished I was a boy. Females were weak to him. One day me and my mother went out for a picnic. We sat in a small meadow on the edge of the forest. It was a bright and warm day with a gentle breeze that kept us cool. Our pack house wasn't to far, it could be seen from where we sat. All of a sudden, my mother had turned to me her eyes wide and glowing. But what really caught my attention was the fear. She grabbed me and started to run towards the house but I could see the rouge wolves gaining on us.

They came bolting out of the forest straight for us. She new we wouldn't make it so she told me to run. Run and don't look back. And I did for the most part. I can all the way to the house but just as I got there I turned and saw her getting ripped to shreds. A scream tore out of me but by then she was gone and the wolves from my pack had started to run out towards them.

My mom had stayed behind to fight them off so I can get to safety. My father never forgave me for that. He has told me multiple times he wishes I was never born. I agree.

"Everything you asked for is done." I whispered.

" We'll see..." He said as he walked out. As soon as he was gone I relaxed and turned to the back door. I needed to get some fresh air. Before I could even step out of the kitchen my hair was yanked back and I was pushed against the counter.

"Hello Charity" Jake whispered.

"Please Jake, leave me alone. Just for today..." I whimpered. Jake was the Alphas Beta and one of the biggest pains in my ass. He enjoyed to torture me. He grabbed my wrists and was holding so tight I knew bruises would already be forming.

"Aww, now Charity, that's no way to greet me." He said as he let go of one of my arms and brought his hand up to my face to slap me. It rang through the kitchen but I knew no one was around and if someone was they wouldn't have done anything. This was normal. I felt the sting and tears came to my eyes but I did not let them shed. He liked it when I cried.

"Now next time I come to visit you, we should try to be a little more respectful. Okay?" he asked. I nodded my head and he gave me a smile.

"Alpha Colton will be here soon. Go back to your room. We don't need him seeing a shameful waste of space like you." He said as walked out the same door the Alpha did. I tried rubbing the feeling back into my wrist and whipped the blood from my cut lip as I headed to my room. Luckily, they were to busy to beat on me some more today. Or so I hoped.

I walked into my room, well more like a closet, and grabbed some fresh clothes and a ragged clean towel. I headed down the hall to the bathroom looking foreward to a shower. Inside the bathroom I undid my hair and massaged my head to relieve the pain from having it up tightly. I froze as I saw my reflection in the mirror. This time I let the tears fall. My once bright blue eyes were pale and empty, dark bags taking residence under them. My black hair was greasy and went down to my butt in thick waves from being in a bun all the time. I pulled off my clothes, stained with dirt, and looked at my fragile body that resembled a skeleton. No wonder why I was so weak. They did the bare minimum when providing for me. Its been like this for a long time. All the pack members treat me as if I was the dirt under their shoe. But my father and Jake were the worse. They did it for fun.

I got in the shower and let the warm water wash away everything. I loved when I got to shower. It was the only place I could be me and feel clean. Getting out I grabbed a fresh grey dress and slipped it on before braiding my hair in one long braid. I wrapped it in a bun and slipped on my grey flats. Heading back to my room I was stopped a pack member ordering me down stairs to help them with last minuet preparations. I had thought id gotten away with having to be by others but It looks like ill be in the presence of not one, but two Alphas. Alpha Colton and my father. I went down stairs and started to help out, praying that I would be allowed to go back to my room before their arrival.

Edited 1/28/21