ch. 4 - Don't Let Me Go

Don't Let Me Go by Harry Styles

"I promised one day I'd bring you back a star.  I caught one and it burned a hole in my hand, oh..."

           When Louis wakes up, his head is pounding and he thinks that he’s about to die or something.  His stomach twists with heat and he’s already doubling over to clutch onto his stomach with a loud, gurgling groan.  Untangling himself from the bed sheets, he stumbles across the hotel room and the flooring creaks beneath his small feet.  Bursting into the bathroom, he falls over the toilet and is already retching up the alcohol that he’d practically inhaled the night before.  Moaning from the pain in his stomach, he spat up the disgusting vomit into the toilet and rested his forearms against the toilet seat.  Hovering over the opening, the bubbling in his stomach was really not helping the pounding in his head, and he doesn’t think that he’s ever been so fucking hung-over in his entire lifetime.

“Louis?”  A deep, raspy voice comes from the entrance of the restroom, and Louis just barely glances up before he’s coughing and spitting again.

Fuck.” He curses when he’s done, groaning and falling back onto his arse.  He’s still in his jeans, and his t-shirt is clinging to his sweaty body.  “What happened last night?”  Louis croaked, his eyes heavy and half-lidded as he glanced up at Harry.  Everything was incredibly foggy.

“We had a fight and I guess you ran off.  I went after you when it was nearly 2 in the morning and found you shouting my name around the streets of fucking Paris.”  He replied honestly, his wide green eyes glazed with guilt.

“Shit.  Harry, I’m sorry.  I-“

“Don’t be.  It wasn’t your fault.”

“But-"

“Louis.  Just drop it, yeah?”  He mumbled, his eyebrows knotting together as he shook his head.  “It’s over.  Are you okay?  There’s aspirin on your nightstand.  I asked the hotel for a couple pills this morning.”

“Thanks.”  Louis mumbled, pushing himself up off of the tiled floor and hanging his head as he flushed the toilet with a disgusted look on his face.

      Once he’d brushed his teeth twice to get rid of the awful taste, he shuddered and washed his hands.  “Can’t believe I fucking did that.”  He muttered to himself, closing his eyes and drawing in a deep breath as he turned to flick off the light.  Walking out of the room, he downed the two aspirin pills and water with a cringe, absolutely hating any form of medication.  But still, he’d rather some meds than a ear-splitting headache.  “How long are we staying here?  A week?”  Louis questioned Harry when the medicine seemed to have kicked in, soothing and numbing the pain in his head.  Settling down onto his single bed with his back up against the headboard,  he cocked his head and watched the curly-haired boy as he fiddled around with the suitcase a bit anxiously.

“Erm, yeah.  I rented the room for that long.  We can leave earlier though, if something happens.”  Harry replied easily, barely glancing up at his ex as he slid on some new, fresh clothing instead the horrid-smelling shit he had on.

“I like Paris.”  Louis replied, as if that were an answer.

“I do too, Louis.”

Louis, who seemed rather satisfied with himself, settled back against the bed and closed his eyes, reveling in the sound of the city from outside the French windows and the sound of clothes being rustled as Harry changed.  It was rare for them to get a vacation like this, but he definitely wasn’t complaining about the fact that they finally got a break.  Even if it wasn’t exactly chosen and they sort of ran in order to get it.  It didn’t matter.  They were free at last, and Louis no longer had to worry about being judged by millions of people – including their management team.  Paris was just so loud, and happy, and real.  He didn’t ever want to move away.  This was definitely one of his favorite places.