1.2 Fairy Bread

I cradled my bloody arm while spinning in a circle and slowly making my way down the porch steps and down the sidewalk hoping my dad would be at his store.

"Max! Max!" I stop and turn around to see Jake riding up to me on a Tiny bike that looked strangely like the little boy Telly's who I have babysat before.

"Did you steal a bike from an 8 year old?" I accuse as he stops beside me.

"What? No. Yes. That doesn't matter. Have you seen my mum?" He asked frazzled. I shake my head no. "What happened to your arm?" He asked next while pointing at my clutched arm.

"My dog bit me. And I have to go find my dad so if you'll excuse me. Good luck finding your mum I'll let you know if I see her." I promise while backing away before completely turning and facing foreword and walking away from him.

It didn't take me long to get to the shop. It's closer to my house than the school is at least. But that wasn't what surprised me what did was when I walked in the store and found it looking newly renovated with brightly colored walls rather than the kind of store you would expect the grunge kids off of tumblr to hang out in like it usually was.

The walls were a pastel blue and the CD racks were all organized neatly as if done by a professional organizer (and not by a 15 year old girl like they usually) are all along one wall. The t-shirts were on circular racks instead of on the walls. And the music playing as something off of the top forty playlist which was something my dad always hated.

"Hello? Dad?" I call out feeling very off about the whole situation. My entire body froze as Charlie came out of the back with a wide smile.

"Hello how can I help you?" Charlie said happily while leaning on the counter. My feet remained frozen but my hand lifted up to point at him.

"How? You-you're at war right now your a field medic. What are you doing here? When did you get home? Why are you dressed like that?" I stuttered out running a hand through my messy pony tail. Charlie brought his hands to his mouth hiding a confused smile behind them.

"I've lived here for the past 5 years and I have never been enrolled in any type of Military my mother made quite sure of that. I think you're confusing me with someone else. Now is there anything I can help you with?" Charlie suggested with his 'I'm really freaked out but I'm pretending I'm not' face.

"What are you talking about you're my brother and mum left 6 years ago! This isn't funny Charlie where's dad. I wanna know what's going on!" I rant raising my voice towards the end of it.

"Charlie honey is everything alright?" A lean woman with dirty blonde hair walked out and my breath caught in my throat.

"Everything's alright mum." Charlie looked at me while saying Mum as if stating his point.

"I-I don't understand. How is this possible?" I question my voice not going any louder than a whisper. I could feel my breathing begin to shallow. Fumbling with my bag I ran out of the store only to fall to my knees by a street light post all together my breathing coming out in short breaths. I turned and sat on my butt as my breaths came out in short gasps.

"Max! Max are you okay?" Andy asks while him Jake and Sam run up to me. I shake my head and finally get my inhaler out of my bag as my eyes well up with tears. Jake was crouched in front of me while Andy was on my left and Sam was on my right rubbing my back as I took a puff. Attempting to steady my breathing.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Sam rushed worriedly as my breathing began to slow down but still came out stutters. I nodded slowly whilst staring at the store.

"You're bleeding." Andy points out grazing my arm slightly. I barely notice; my stare remaining on the store until someone snaps their fingers in my face.