chapter 19

Clary's POV

   I wake up to see Izzy, Maia, and Helen standing in a circle around me. Izzy yanks me out of bed.

   "What the heck Izzy?"

   "Why did you leave the room last night?"

   "I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs and got some tea," I tell them, "why?"

   "Jace is standing in the hall waiting for you to wake up."

   "He is?" I ask pretending to be confused. I get up and open the door just enough so that I can see the hall. Jace is standing against the wall looking bored and waiting for someone. I shut the door quietly.

  "He might not be waiting for me."

  I put on a black tank top and some black leggings and tell the girls that I am going for a run after breakfast. We go down to see that my mom made french toast for breakfast. We eat and as they go to get dressed, I head to the door. I start running as I turn my music on.

   Five minutes later I notice a flash of gold coming up behind me. I know who it is. Jace. I pull out one ear bud.

  "What do you want?" I ask him. I am annoyed that he is interrupting my run.

  "Are you avoiding me?"

  "I'm doing my daily run," I say. He gives me a look that says 'you know what I mean.' I shrug and go to put my ear bud back in.

  "Wait," he says, "you didn't tell me why you are avoiding me."

  "I don't know why," I say. I put my ear bud in and speed up. The girls are waiting for me on the porch. Jace comes soon after. That's when everything goes dark.

Jace's pov

   I follow Clary onto the porch. That's when she faints. I run to her and pick her up. Isabelle yells for Jocelyn and Luke. I carry her inside and Jocelyn and Luke come running to the door. Luke takes her from me and carries her to the living room. Jocelyn calls an ambulance.

   "This has never happened before," Luke tells us. Jocelyn comes in and Luke pulls her into a hug. She starts to cry silently. An ambulance shows up and the paramedics pick Clary up and lay her on a gurney. Jocelyn goes in the ambulance and Luke drives us to the hospital. Alec is talking to our mom and Jon is talking to Valentine on the phone.