If Only He Knew

Hiccup came home last night and collapsed on his bed. For the past three days, he and the other teens of Berk had been given the task to chop down trees and bring the lumber to the Great Hall.

"MMMmmmm..."

Stoick, the chief, carefully walked up the stairs, knowing his son was asleep. He had watched his son drowsily walk into the same support beam last night seven times until he finally realized to go around it. He also heard Hiccup walk into the wall of his bedroom and his Night Fury purring in worry. Eventually the crashing into desks and walls and purrs of an over-motherly dragon ceased and was filled with the whistle of the wind. Stoick had fallen asleep last night knowing waking his son was going to be a pain in the morning.

Now here was Stoick standing at the foot of his son's bed. His son's face tinged pink from the cold air surrounding the room. Stoick watched his son's face for minutes, though to him it felt like centuries. It were times like these that he wished he could have been a better father. He was then broken by this trance by Toothless who had woken up. Said dragon quietly padded over to Stoick's side and nuzzled him, (whom Stoick returned the favor by a scratch), and looked over his rider's sleep induced figure. Stoick carefully called and shook his son.

"Hiccup."

"MM...Hhhhuuummmm..."

Hiccup was dreaming about his latest Whoever-Can-Blow-Up-More-Trees-Out-Of-The-Ground-Wins-Contest. His mind kept flashing the funniest moments that seemed to fill him with an unnatural peace filled warmth. However, when he heard his name being called in what it seemed like a far distance, he brushed it off as part of the dream and mumbled an unintelligent response.

When his son showed no sign of hearing him, Stoick sighed in annoyance, even though an evident smile was spread across his lips. His son's stubborn attitude always had to get the best of him... well not this time.

"Dragon, you know what to do."

Toothless flashed his gummy smile, that didn't exactly meet the hidden smirk and mischievous glow in his eyes. Toothless pounced onto his rider, who shot up with wide eyes. Hiccup began to squeal as Toothless' tongue drowned him in Night Fury saliva. Toothless bounded off his rider, and Hiccup wiping the spit turned to glare at the dragon. Stoick laughed as Hiccup's eyes widened and face blushed with embarrassment when he met his gaze.

Stoick's laughing fit ended as a burst of wind flew from the window used for Toothless and Hiccup, showering the room with snow. The snow dropped slowly to the ground and as it fell, the light from the window showered the room with brilliant sparks of gold and silver. But hidden behind what seemed like angelic beauty, gray storm clouds were headed towards Berk. The far eastern side of Berk was already covered in the storm's shadow.

Stoick walked over to Hiccup's desk and picked up the tossed woolen fur vest. When the chief turned back to face his son, Hiccup had already put on his fake leg and was scratching Toothless. Stoick tossed the vest over to Hiccup.

"You better put that on son. Today is when the storm hits and I have to give the village one more check. I want you to bring all of your supplies and meet me at the Great Hall."

Stoick turned and headed towards the stairs, but he turned around to face his son once again.

"Be careful, okay."

"Don't worry dad. Me and Toothless will meet you in the Great Hall."

Stoick smiled and walked downstairs. Hiccup could hear his dad shutting the front door. Hiccup looked at Toothless and nodded. Toothless bound downstairs to wait for breakfast while Hiccup grabbed everything he needed. This wasn't the first time a large storm caused the town to take refuge in the Great Hall. Hiccup grabbed his bag and filled it with charcoal, two of – no – three of his empty notebooks, dragon nip (being trapped in a room with Vikings and dragons, things can get...), and bandages (being in a room with Vikings and dragons is one thing, but being there with a Tuff, Ruff, and Snotlout... things can happen).

Hiccup hopped downstairs and found Toothless trying to sneak some fish from the basket. As payback for his rude wake up, Hiccup slowly snuck up behind Toothless. The Night Fury, however, and different ideas. Hiccup squealed for the second time that day as Toothless spun on his "heels" and pounced onto Hiccup. The bag's contents rolled out, but Hiccup was to busy laughing at the sticky tongue layering him with saliva.

Hiccup smiled as he got up and began to fill the bag's contents again. However, Toothless went back to eating his fish.

If only Hiccup knew this wasn't the day he'd though it would be.

The next...two chapters... will be about Hiccup finally being captured. Sorry of holding it off for so long. I hope you enjoy this chapter and I plan on updating 2 more times, before January 5th. Thanks and PLEASE REVIEW!